Author Topic: What draws your eye at shows like the CLA?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline looper

What draws your eye at shows like the CLA?
« on: August 19, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
On our drive back home from the CLA show, Don and I were talking about how we each seem to be drawn to a certain type of gun. You know, where you can stand looking at a room where there are literally hundreds of guns in sight, and you seem to be drawn to a certain one?

For me, it's a gun like this Brennan. It looks like it has a story to tell.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: What draws your eye at shows like the CLA?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 10:59:14 PM »
Any well done gun will draw my eye, especially if it's been aged convincingly.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
I’ll have to second Mike on that one. Well done the key to catching my eye. I never met a well done gun I didn’t like.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 12:20:56 AM »
Well, that guy's shirt caught my eye right off the bat. It's pretty snazzy ;D

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 03:02:57 AM »
Was this rifle for sale? Thanks, Jerry

Offline looper

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 03:35:33 AM »
I don't know. I didn't get to talk to anyone about it. By that time, my brain was full, so all I could do was stare and maybe drool a little.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 05:08:33 AM »
I’m still gaining experience from the old timers so I haven’t developed a great eye yet.  I am recognizing different types of rifles, schools, English or American etc  and was taught a lot by conversations with Bob Hill, Mike Brooks, Wayne, David Rase, Brian Barker and many others.  If I had to pick out a rifle that stands out to me,  it would be an original rifle Wayne let me hold at his house.  The craftsmanship and feel was totally different than any I’ve held. You could somehow feel the dryness and age.  The carving and architecture was original,  so it was spot on perfect to me.  It was an experience I won’t forget.  A very close second was an English Fowler that Mike Brooks had.  I didn’t know anything about them or what I was handling, but after coming home and reading a little,  I’ll treasure that moment too.  David Rase’s little .36 SMR was amazing and Brian’s rifles always catch my eye.  I have to quit modifying this post and just let it ride.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:15:43 AM by Mike Lyons »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 08:02:47 PM »
 8) 8) 8).... If it has a perfect "TENNESSEE" profile, and mostly iron fittings, it always gets a lot of attention from me.... when Brian built "BAER KILLR", I handled her so much while still in the white that it is a wonder he got any stain to take,.... !!! .. some like a lot of brass and  fancy carving & engraving,.... to each his own... to me , plain is pretty,.... Regards,..... Cades Cove Fiddler,.... ;) ;) ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 08:28:12 PM »
  Well this covers a lot of territory for me. Overly engraved guns an inlays. Well they are attractive but they lack my interest. Also the guns with the super shiny stocks just don't seem right on a gun that is supposed to represent the past.
  My favorites are Tennessee style, Soddies an lately Lehighs by a certain gun maker. ( you paying attention Mike ? ) an last but not least dark stocks, also they have to have character. A story they could tell..  Like a nice jaeger I seen this weekend. Took a real fancy to that rifle...!!
Oldtravler

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 02:04:56 AM »
8) 8) 8).... If it has a perfect "TENNESSEE" profile, and mostly iron fittings, it always gets a lot of attention from me.... when Brian built "BAER KILLR", I handled her so much while still in the white that it is a wonder he got any stain to take,.... !!! .. some like a lot of brass and  fancy carving & engraving,.... to each his own... to me , plain is pretty,.... Regards,..... Cades Cove Fiddler,.... ;) ;) ;)

You got that right..... give me plain and crisp and I am in love.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 02:14:12 AM »

Hey Dana
I’m going to build one of those this winter. I even have an original trigger guard that I’m going to use.
Want me to give ya first shot at it? It’ll be Stoner Creek priced too :-*
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Ezra

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 02:24:20 AM »
Anything that is very well done, not just firearms.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
 ??? ??? ???.... Wayne,... now you done got me to thinkin' again,...!!!

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 01:30:00 AM »
In my case, it is whichever one "talks" to me.  I've gone through shows where nothing seemed to be of much interest, and then I will spot something that stands out like a neon sign.

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 05:45:36 AM »
The guns that appeal to me are the simple ones, where the architecture speaks more than the carving and inlays. My personal favorite this last show was Bill Pritchard's J.P. Beck. Bob Brown's Frederick Sell copy was amazing too, but I kept going back (literally) to that Beck. Just perfect from every angle.

Not a great pic...