Author Topic: Chronograph  (Read 2476 times)

Offline shifty

Chronograph
« on: August 23, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
  W hat do you think or know of the little Caldwell chrony that is under $100.00 on the net.  What do you thin k is a good one for under $125.00 for use with ml's,rf'and cf use?

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: Chronograph
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 01:09:30 AM »
I've been using a Chrony for years with no complaints.  I have compared the readings with others that are more expensive (oheler & proTach)) and the readings are within 2-3 FPS of each other.

Offline Semisane

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline mushka

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »
I have a Pact.  It was a gift years ago, don't know what they cost.  It is good for basic use and has stuff you can add on for printing etc.  I like it but don't use it a whole lot.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 06:42:26 PM »
I purchased a " Shooting Chrony" some 25 years ago, and I'm still using it today. Simple, easy to use, and inexpensive, it tells me all I need to know.  It's been knocked over, peppered with wadding, Black Powder residue particles, and the screens have been shot full of holes, and it still works !   Relatively inexpensive , and yet very accurate. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »
I've had an Oehler for well over 22 years.  It's a very fine instrument and I've used it quite a bit.  A good friend has an inexpensive, little crony that works as well as mine.  I still remember when paper & wire screens were used with a chronograph that cost several hundred $$.  Even then it would only give a code # that required looking up the velocity on a table of values.  I'd prefer the old "swinging pendulums" they used a couple hundred years ago over those.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 09:52:13 PM »
I have one, can't remember the name, but it has a printer, and haven't used it since I got away from brass stuffing and got to muzzle stuffin.   Should locate and liquidate--but then if they're that cheap now, may as well hang on to it. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dave R

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 04:54:44 AM »
Taking in consideration the patch going thru right after the ball how far do you set the Chrony away from the muzzle to get an accurate FPS reading?

Offline shifty

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
  Dave R ,I don't have a chronograph yet but i guess you would just shoot the rifle you are going to test and see about where the patch's are landing  and set the chrony a little farther  past that range.

But my ques about the Caldwell chronograph is still not getting answered.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »
Regarding the Caldwell, I know one fellow who purchased one..the basic , cheapest one. He wishes that he had gone for the "premium" model because it comes with additional sensors, and other goodies. The basic unit needs good sunlight etc to perform reliably, and consistently in his experience . The premium model brings the price up the the level of the " Chrony"  That said, it does what it says it will do when the conditions are good [ not low light]  and it connects with your phone etc if that is of interest.  I don't have a smart phone, so that feature means nothing to me. That's only one "review" so who knows ?  :-\

Offline shifty

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
   bob in the woods, Yes i don't care for the phone hook up myself just want a simply to use device that show vel.

Offline Gordy

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
I have had the Competition electronics, "Prochrono Digital" model CEI-3800 for about 5 years and it has never given me a moment's trouble. I purchased it from Midway for around 100 bucks. It's really nice will record 9 separate shot strings with 9 shots in each string, then it will give you the high FPS and the low FPS and then it will show you the average FPS of that shot string. It stores all this data internally and is simple to use. Runs on a 9 volt battery. I believe I am still using the original battery. Just giving ya my opinion. Like I said it's simple to use and the best part is it's made in the good ol USA !!!!
Good day, Gordy

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 11:19:39 PM »
Chronographs are inexpensive and give the shooter a lot of information, more than simple bullet speed.  They tell you how uniform your load is and that bit of information can be extremely important.  A load with a wide velocity spread can be very accurate at 25 or 50 yards and this works for most hunters.  But if that range is extended then the group at some point will fall apart.  This can be important for those who hunt open country and also for target shooters.

In addition to the above, a chronograph can tell you if you're using too much or wasting powder.  It can tell you the point where additional powder lowers the velocity (often happens) and where little is to be gained with each increase.  This information helps with determining PBR, drop and power.  It also allows barrel length comparisons and powder differences.  If one shoots and is serious about it a chronograph is a necessity.

Offline shifty

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »
  Well now day's it's like every thing else trying to decide which to buy you have so many choices.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 04:52:13 PM »
I've had my Chrony for over ten years now.  Basic model, I have to write down the figures.
Best advice for any Chrony or other battery-powered device - take the batteries OUT when not in use!  Otherwise, they corrode and ruin the device, as well as kill the battery.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Vicanddogs

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
How far from the muzzle are you guys placing your chronographs

Vic
Vic

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 09:20:29 PM »
Vic, I have been using a chrony for over 25 years and I've learned that it needs to be further out than if using centerfire guns.  Problem is the gas and particles from the BP, some of which can reach the chronograph before the projectile and throw it off.

Fifteen feet from the muzzle seems to work for me. 

The patch as mentioned above does not reach the chronograph in time to effect the reading.  HOWEVER, I did have a case where a heavily lubed patch hit the LED screen and destroyed it.   It's a good idea to purchase or make protectors if the readout screen is on the face of the chronograph! :)
Mike Lee

Offline Vicanddogs

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 03:12:45 AM »
Thanks Mike
Vic

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 07:56:29 PM »
Have never used a chronograph but obviously are aware of some of the different ones available. At the range recently a fellow was using one with a high power centerfire (sorry) rifle that was actually attached to the muzzle ??
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
The modern chronographs are so much nicer to use than the old  frangible screen chronographs of pre1970's, there is no contest.

Any of them will give decent results if used according to the directions.

I am currently using a Chrony Beta Master that has been working for me for the last 10 or so years and for my cousin the preceeding 5 years.

I also have and prefer my PACT timer, from the 1980's- wonderful unit, slightly more accurate, but I need a new diode for it- crossed the terminals
by mistake and fried a diode. I have it boxed to sent back to Texas, now I need to get around tuit.(for 10 years)

The Calwell will work just fine, if you use it correctly. The higher priced units are higher priced for a reason, but normal Chrony's are very good too.

I set my at 10' or whatever the power cord to the readout box runs. Likely 10'- no problems with patches or pellets from shot loads. A barrier before the
first screen would be even better. When chrono'ing shot loads, i do not use the diffusers and rods & shoot well over the screens.  a 1/2' angled steel plate
would be a good addition to the unit, screwed to a steel plate with the angled plate welded in front.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »
I generally place the skyscreens about 12' from the muzzle.  I have a 4' rod with start, stop and middle sensors; the middle one catches velocity anomalies.  They don't seem to like direct sunlight and prefer it from a slight angle.  They even work with incandescent light bulbs.