Author Topic: New product! - Flintlocks  (Read 5273 times)

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Re: New product! - Flintlocks
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 02:35:15 AM »
If I missed it, my apologies.  Will the locks be offered plain, or engraved as shown?  Personally, I'd rather plain.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 02:46:46 AM »
That is a nice looking lock! X2 on the bridle pinning. I look forward to handling one.

Best,

Chris E.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 03:01:26 AM »
Hi Wayne,
The lock is sold with no engraving.  Jim describes that on his web site.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 03:13:12 AM »
Hi Wayne,
The lock is sold with no engraving.  Jim describes that on his web site.

dave

You're right, Dave.  I checked the price and stopped there.   :-[
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »
Jim,
   Will these lock fit in the lock mortice and trigger bar placement that you have in the early models of your colonial rifle? I think mine was #43 IIRC. If so put me on the list for one. I will visit the website to formalize order if they fit.

thanks, Bill Nash

Bill,

These locks will not fit the same mortice as those cut for Chambers round faced English locks.  They are somewhat smaller in some areas.  In particular forward of the pan area.  Sorry! 

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 05:18:47 PM »
Jim
I know you know more about metallurgy than I, so this is an honest question: What drove the selection of 1018 with case-hardening versus an alloy or "high-carbon" steel?

Aside from that curiosity, it looks like a real lock for the period, and I'm sure it will work like a champ.  Seen several of your kits now finished by locals, and the quality of the kits is obvious!

Good question.  Given the requirements of the parts and considering what was done originally it becomes clear that any number of different alloys would work fine for the tumbler and sear.  I guess I chose 1018 for a few reasons, but might have been as well off with another choice.  Here are some of the benefits of carburized 1018:

The material is readily available in a variety of sizes.  This is important when setting up for CNC work
The material is cheap
It machines reasonably well
Heat treatment by pack carburizing allows a large number of parts to be heat treated at once in our shop. 
The hard case and softer interior works well for parts such as these.

A free machining variety of mild steel might be something I consider in the future.  Speed and process reliability become important with processes such as these.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 05:24:38 PM »
If I missed it, my apologies.  Will the locks be offered plain, or engraved as shown?  Personally, I'd rather plain.

Yeah, I decided to polish one and engrave it just to show how it would look finished in this manner.  These locks were typically engraved at least with borders and it really does change the look.  To my eye it allows for them to better be compared to original examples.  So, no engraving on ones being sold...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
I'd also like to say thank you to everyone who has purchased and otherwise offered support of this endeavor.  I can't really convey the resources that have gone into starting this venture and the great response has helped confirm it's been worthwhile.

All the best,
Jim and Katherine

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »

Yeah, I decided to polish one and engrave it just to show how it would look finished in this manner.  These locks were typically engraved at least with borders and it really does change the look.  To my eye it allows for them to better be compared to original examples.  So, no engraving on ones being sold...

Wish we could have a CNC polished lock, oh how I hate that task :D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 06:33:26 PM »
I would pay a fairly hefty premium for a polished option on pretty much any lock!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
Geez Jim,
What do you do in your spare time?  Beautiful lock.  Now I just need to come up with a fowler build to use it on.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
Jim, that is a really good looking lock you made there. I'm sure I'll be getting one soon to check it out. Now you need to make a bit smaller late English lock for your southern rifle. ;D

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
Hi Jim,
Looking at the photos on your web site, it looks like the lock has no fly detent.  I don't use set triggers if I can avoid them so it does not matter to me.

dave

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »
I have to say that lock is a beauty.  Pride point wise, it's a steal.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi Jim,
Looking at the photos on your web site, it looks like the lock has no fly detent.  I don't use set triggers if I can avoid them so it does not matter to me.

dave

No fly in this first batch reserved for our single trigger Colonial kit.  All locks that we sell individually will have a fly. 

Jim

westbrook

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2019, 09:58:32 PM »
Mighty fine piece at a better than fair price !!

The most interesting part of the CNC production process, is that it has to be less of a pain to produce parts for a LH lock without having to create a whole new set of cast masters. ;)

Yup, I'm the lefty guy you knew was gonna show up and start asking questions... :)

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 01:52:22 AM »
Will the new locks fit the Kibler Colonial kits?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2019, 02:06:44 AM »
Will the new locks fit the Kibler Colonial kits?
Hi,
If you read the post above you will find your answer.  The lock is made for the Kibler Colonial kits but it will not fit older kits using the Chambers lock.

dave

Offline t.caster

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 04:51:38 PM »
That is a beauty Jim and priced reasonably for sure. I don't have a use for it right away, but I know I will be buying one or more before long!

Did you use a shoulder bolt for the sear arm? I hope you say YES!
Tom C.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
That is a beauty Jim and priced reasonably for sure. I don't have a use for it right away, but I know I will be buying one or more before long!

Did you use a shoulder bolt for the sear arm? I hope you say YES!

Thanks.  Great question! The body of the sear screw is slightly larger than the major thread diameter so there is a very slight shoulder.  We have a very good cnc screw machine shop making all of the screws and their control has been great.  So the sear screw can be tightened completely and it positively stops without the bridle pinching the sear.  The sear screw head contacts the bridle at the same time as well.  This is a quality feature monitor and check for.  It's quite frustrating to not be able to tighten this screw or have the head a mile above the bridle when tight.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »
Mighty fine piece at a better than fair price !!

The most interesting part of the CNC production process, is that it has to be less of a pain to produce parts for a LH lock without having to create a whole new set of cast masters. ;)

Yup, I'm the lefty guy you knew was gonna show up and start asking questions... :)

We will do some left handed versions in time.  We will have to make additional masters of the frizzen and cock for investment castings.  Fixturing will also have to be adjusted.  We've taken the route of using a cast frizzen and cock to keep cost under control.  They worked out very well on this first batch. 

A little bit about the cnc approach for those interested...  We've chosen to use a 3 axis approach and high density fixturing.  This allows a lot of parts to be made with one set-up.  This limits the number of times parts have to be loaded.  Cycle times can be 8 hours or more for a batch.  This helps keep costs down.  Expensive custom fixturing must be made, however.  So, with our approach it's not as simple as mirroring the program for left-handed versions.  With a 5 axis approach, little to no custom fixturing is used, however the number of parts run at a time is very low and cycle times are much shorter.  This requires more opperator intervention, but avoids expensive up front fixturing costs.  Programs can also be easily mirrored and run for left-handed versions.  There's always a give and take...

Jim

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »
Fasinating work and a beautiful Lock!! Lefthand Versions would be fanstasic ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Not many alternatives for us South paws, which is the main reason I'm trying to learn to build Locks from scratch.

Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:00:08 PM by Rolf »

Online Don Steele

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
Jim,
I apologize if I missed your response earlier, but I’m still wondering if a couple of your new locks will be available for folks to handle during the upcoming NMLRA matches at Friendship.
Thank you.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Walkingeagle

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2019, 10:48:54 PM »
Jim,
Sir, this is without a doubt a beautiful lock. Well done!
When I will be working on my next rifle build project, this is the lock I will be purchasing.
Walk

westbrook

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2019, 11:53:37 PM »
Thanks Jim,

I'll agree on the call to go stay with a cast cock & frizzen. They are probably the 2 hardest/most costly parts to machine and the least in need of the precision.