Author Topic: C&R Bean patch box  (Read 1456 times)

Offline dstock

C&R Bean patch box
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:12:23 AM »
I am going to try to make a double patch box like the one on the Bean rifle. The pictures in the books I have are not clear enough to see how the hinge attachment is made where the hinge pin goes through (for lack of a better word) the boss on each side. if someone has a clear picture and could post it I would appreciate it . I can see the shape of the outer parts of the hinges but that is about it. A verbal description would be great also.

I would also like to attempt to make the entry thimble on that same rifle. I see similar thimbles by other makers also. My problem or the problem in my mind is the straight down turn from the tang to the thimble with the radius being so close. Also it looks like two pieces, the thimble and the tang that is. They look to be hot forged. Any ideas? I have made entry thimbles one piece and two piece but not with that sharp of down turn. I am talking in terms as if you are looking down with the rifle upside down.

The book with the best pictures is the East Tennessee Hog Rifles by David A. Byrd on page 14.

Thanks in advance and God Bless
Doug

God Bless
Doug B

Online rsells

Re: C&R Bean patch box
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 07:37:02 AM »
I have attached a photo of the one I made a few years back.  I had to rework my hinge forming tool a bit to do the double hinge, but it was worth the work.
                                                                                              Roger Sells

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 04:25:07 PM »
I believe that the entry pipe is made in two pieces. The Tang portion is bent at a 90 degree angle then fit to the round pipe and soldered or brased together.  When I made my copy of  Jerry Nobel's Charlie Bean rifle, Jerry let me look that rifle over really good and that is how I believe Charlie made the entry pipe.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »
There's a lot to like in that picture Roger.  Fine looking work.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline dstock

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 08:42:52 PM »
Roger, thanks for posting the picture of your beautiful rifle. That style is what I had in mind when I first started thinking double patch box but then I saw the one where both lids are pinned together. Yep, another though process. I was just wondering what the hinge mounts look like in real life.

Bama, I sure enjoyed talking with you at the CLA show. The entry thimble on the Bean rifle looks two piece and would probably have to be. Its turning that 90 degree turn two times an rounded over to fit the stock and the thimble all at the same time is what I can't get in my mind how to do. Was hoping that someone who has done this would be willing to share the process with me. Regardless, I am going to attempt making one.

Thanks and God Bless

Doug
God Bless
Doug B

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 02:30:05 AM »
Here are a few shots of one on our's.  This box may have been crafted by the maker OR he may have had it done by Muzzle Loaders Builders Supply.  They offer a similar box below.

https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=680201.9516&next=100&product=Patchboxes

Roger:  Your rifle is outstanding!

Regards to all, Molly

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 02:39:25 AM »
Stock I talked with Dale Johnson about this box there is a trunion on each side that the pin extends into the trunion is held by the screws visible in the picture. Neither of us knew exactly how the trunion was made folded sheet or filed from  a piece of steel perhaps someone with access to the rifle will post better pictures of this unusual box.

Offline dstock

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
Molly, thanks for posting your beautiful rifle and allowing me to view the double patch box.

Sqrldog, Trunnion is one of the words I couldn"t think of at the time of posting. the other word that might fit also is a gudgeon . I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to hold that rifle in hand. So I will try to make one as close as I can from that unclear picture in the book.

Thanks and God Bless
Doug
God Bless
Doug B