Author Topic: Rust Proofing Inside of In-the-White Steel Buttplate  (Read 1898 times)

Offline JLayne

Rust Proofing Inside of In-the-White Steel Buttplate
« on: September 06, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
Hello all,

I am working on a VA rifle kit with steel hardware and am planning to polish the steel but leave it in the white. For those of you who have done this in the past, is there anything you do to rust-proof the interior surface of the buttplate to guard against rust? The cast part appears to have a coat of gray rust primer sprayed on the inside, and I was thinking about scuffing the inside surface and spraying it again with some primer and/or some paint to protect the interior surface, since it won't be coming off again once the build and finishing of the stock are complete (I am a novice to this hobby, but used to work in an auto body shop. Can you tell?). However, I would like to hear if anyone out there have alternate solutions. As for the outside (visible) steel surfaces, once polished, I will periodically (whenever it gets taken to the range and cleaned) apply SE Johnson's wax and some gun oil (I use Hoppe's field wipes) to keep the rust away.

Thanks,
Jay

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Rust Proofing Inside of In-the-White Steel Buttplate
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »
I’d not bother. The inside surface does not have any coating as delivered it’s as it was cast. Unlike cars, rust through is not a problem with steel gun parts. If a little surface rust happens on the inside there’s really no risk or untoward effects.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »
I wish I had time to worry about things like that.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
If you just have to put something on that metal, might I suggest shellac.  It'll work and is useful for other stuff too. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »
If you just have to put something on that metal, might I suggest shellac.  It'll work and is useful for other stuff too.
Nah, the quick thing to do would be a quick spray with pink rustoleum.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
A rub with deer tallow or water-pump grease would last forever, Jay.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
I wish I had time to worry about things like that.
You will just have to make time.... 8)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 07:47:55 PM »
I apply Birchwood Casey’s ‘Barricade’ product, then wax them. Takes as much to do it as to type it .. heck, even Mike could make the time  :o .
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 07:54:28 PM »
Well I might as well ask, I might learn something. What does it matter if the inside of the buttplate rusts?

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 08:24:26 PM »
I like the Mike's pink rust oleum idea.  That way in 200 years when someone takes off the butt plate they will have something to discuss and debate over as to why they did that back then and where to get pink rust oleum in the year 2219 to be HC/PC like they did it in 2019.   :)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline JLayne

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:41:37 PM »
Well I might as well ask, I might learn something. What does it matter if the inside of the buttplate rusts?

Depends on how bad it gets I suppose. I thought that given that I don't remove the barrel when I clean the rifle, and some amount of water always ends up running down the side of the stock, it didn't seem inconceivable that some moisture could find its way in there and, over a long period of time, cause a rust problem that might eat away at the edges of the plate from the inside where it meets the wood. Have I seen it happen? No. Like I said, I'm a novice to gun building, so I asked for more experienced opinions. That said, I have seen many a rocker panel, inner door, lower fender, etc. that ended up looking like swiss cheese due to moisture getting trapped behind the surface of those panels over time.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 09:55:49 PM »
in the old APV video of H House building a longrifle.. If memory serves me?? he seals  under the butt plate and  the under side of the barrel with a swipe of axle grease..
 FWIW..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
Whatever you decide to do, wait until the gun is completely done before you go slopping anything on the buttplate.  Otherwise it will leach out into the wood and give you problems when you apply the finish.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 12:33:11 AM »
If I were to use anything, I'd use beeswax.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 12:48:02 AM »
Spray it with lacquer.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 12:53:03 AM »
A little Rig Universal if you’re worried. I’d rather just let the next guy get the rust off. This next group is probably not going to have anything to do anyway...

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »
Slather it with boiled linseed oil, then install.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »
I have had a lot of old iron mounted guns apart, never saw the inside of the buttplate with severe corrosion. Today's contemporary guns are never going to see the same type of use the old guns did so I'll call "non issue" on this.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »
I agree 100% with Mr. Brooks.  During the late 70's and into the 80's I was employed building Hawken rifles for a local gunsmith.  Over the years I have seen many of them at shoots and on the trade blanket, some in desperate condition. with pitting on the outside of the steel hardware.  But none had rust issuing out from the inside of the butt plate.  Apart from the oil that goes on the butt plate after browning, bluing or pack hardening, I apply no special protective coating.  It is a non-issue.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
... I have seen many a rocker panel, inner door, lower fender, etc. that ended up looking like swiss cheese due to moisture getting trapped behind the surface of those panels over time.

Yes, we've all seen cars rot out. They are of much thinner metal and also regularly exposed to a corrosive elements every Winter in much of this country, and every day if near salty waters.  Different kettle o' fish entirely. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:03:44 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind