Author Topic: Nose Job  (Read 1488 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Nose Job
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
Here is a project I just finished up for a client. This rifle started out as a Kibler Colonial kit. Jim does a great job on this kit and it was a pleasure to put together. I got it all assembled and was getting ready to carve it when I got a wild hair and started thinking about how I could modify the stock. Well, next thing I know I got the rasp out and went to work on the nose of the comb and this is the result. First, let me say that there was nothing wrong and that Jim's design is a very good design.  I hope Jim does not get mad at me for doing this. I think Jim's stuff is great and I look forward to seeing all the new stuff I Jim is coming up with. I have another of his Colonial kits to put together so I hope it goes as well.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Nose Job
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »
Love it Jim. Awesome job.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 08:01:48 PM »
Looks more Lancaster or York now. I like it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
It's just letting your creativity out.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 05:16:50 PM »
I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »
Hi Jim,

The comb rework looks great.  Heck, so does the whole gun.  I have a question about the stock wood surface, if I may.  In several places it appears the stock surface is rippled, like the curl could actually be felt.  Is that so, or does it just look that way in the pictures.  I like the effect.  Was the surface scraped?  Thanks.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »
very cool and the surface ripples are the bombs! ;)
Tom C.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »
I like the changes, Jim.  Looks nice!  Cool looking rifle.  Turned out great.

Jim

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 05:14:35 AM »
Thanks everyone. I did scrape this stock which was a very hard piece of sugar maple. I have found that you can give the stock a rippled texture by scraping if you want that look. Not everyone likes the rippled surface but I find it appealing and much in line with many of the original rifles I have seen. The pictures make it look more rippled than it actually is. The new owner was very pleased with this rifle and it's finish.

Those that don't like the rippled look can get a very smooth finish by scraping also as Jim Kibler has shown in his great videos.

I have another of Jim's Colonial kits that has another piece of good sugar maple but the stripes are not nearly as fine that will have the smoother surface finish. I hope to have it finished by my show in January and have it on display.

I really like this kit, it can be made into a wonderful early rifle. Thanks Jim for a great product.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"