Author Topic: rifle kits  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

rifle kits
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:49:42 AM »
 I have two young neighbors  in their early twenties who are getting the black powder bug and want to build their own rifles .I have built around twenty from blanks but think they should start out with a kit that needs some work to finish it not one of those kits that all you
 have to do is put it together brown and stain.  could you give me the names of kit suppliers that carry kits that needs some work to finish them.  I would like to get them started before I go to Mess Az. for the winter. thank you for your time  and please stay on the subject.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: rifle kits
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 04:07:07 AM »
Michigan Flinter,

Good on you for getting these young men started.  Here's a few outfits that sell kits that require a little more work than the Kibler kits.

Jim Chambers http://www.flintlocks.com

Wayne Dunlap http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/component-sets

Dave Keck http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/component-sets

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply  http://www.longrifles-pr.com/

I know I'm missing some.

-Ron

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:10:13 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 04:15:37 AM »
Hard to beat a Kibler kit.  Especially with the new CNC locks coming out.

Best of luck to them.

Offline Goo

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:37:03 AM »
R E Davis has two nice kits.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 04:44:36 AM »
Jack Garner with TN Valley Manufacturing can put you a parts set together and can do as much or as little of the inletting process that you want. I have used several of his kits in the classes that I give at my shop. Jack has his barrels cnc machine inlet and the barrels fit like a glove.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Frank

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 04:59:46 AM »
Thinking back to when I first started back in the 60s and getting frustrated with all the work and detail involved with the kits. Those early kits required the same amount of work as the ones today by Chambers, track of the Wolf etc..

I would recommend one of Jim Kibler’s kits for a newby. It is something he can put together with minimal effort and have something to be proud of. Save the more complex build for later and enjoy shooting that Kibler rifle in the mean time.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:40:08 AM »
Kibler’s kits aren’t “Assemble and brown” for a someone a month into the hobby. I would suggest it takes care and a tutor to assemble one correctly for a raw beginner. A young assembler will get to see good architecture and what a good inlet looks like and still be finished in a month or so and ready to shoot. If it’s up to me a new stocker will do a Kibler, then a Chambers. If he has he bug then, he’s equipped and ready for what it takes to build something truly his own. There’s too much information out there to start blind like those who started in the 60’s, God love em.

....and please stay on the subject.

No chit chat? What is this, Siberia?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:50:55 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »
For a first gun, Kibler IS the way to go. It will teach them the basics of inletting, drilling and pinning, drilling and tapping, proper architecture,etc., without the need to pull your hair out.
It will prepare them for the real deal later if they want to try it.
I live in Mesa, AZ in the winter as well.
If you don't already know, there are several ML clubs in the area with monthly shoots.
Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to learn more.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »
Is Bill Shellhorn still in business in Auburn, MI (Bay City)? How about Anson & Judy Morgan over in Avoca, MI (Port Huron)? They both use to sell muzzleloading supplies.