Author Topic: Ferric nitrate diluted with alcohol  (Read 1065 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Ferric nitrate diluted with alcohol
« on: September 10, 2019, 02:48:40 AM »
Hi gang!
I'm getting ready to mix a new batch of ferric nitrate.  The last one lasted me only 5 years, so I need some more.  I'd like to mix with alcohol this time to raise grain less.
I have a new 100g bottle of crystals and need a mixture formula, I.e. Type of alcohol, and mix ratio.
Thanks in advance guys!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
Re: Ferric nitrate diluted with alcohol
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 02:56:29 AM »
I have been mixing it anywhere from 3:1 to 5:1 depending on what my test pieces look like.  I use denatured and sort of "eyeball" the measurements in a SS shot glass by volume.  The only thing I noticed is it doesn't have a long shelf life.  A couple of months - OK, but any longer it turned to mud.  So, I only mix up what I am going to use, maybe a little extra.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:01:41 AM »
I used distilled water last time, and it stayed clear for several years.  Maybe I should stay with that?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 03:15:51 AM »
I used alcohol last time and liked it.  I’d store in glass with good cap/top.  Can’t remember the ratio but if you do a search on old posts, you should find something.
Bob

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 03:19:21 AM »
I experimented with mixing up a batch of traditional aquafortis one time using alcohol - that was REALLY interesting!  :o
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 03:55:13 AM »
Thinking about it, I did store it in a Ball type canning jar, maybe I had some grit on the seal.  I do like the way the DA /Nitrate mix works though.  No grain raising - can go straight to tinting with alcohol stains or just top coating.

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 05:55:32 AM »
I used distilled water last time, and it stayed clear for several years.  Maybe I should stay with that?

Ferric nitrate is soluble in alcohol.  I would use denatured alcohol from the hardware store. Mix a small batch and see if you like it.