Author Topic: 3/4 stock Tenn. Flinter build  (Read 1277 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
3/4 stock Tenn. Flinter build
« on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »
Hi y'all; I am currently working on a Tenn mtn  poorboy rifle. Specs  barrel Orion 7/8 x 41 x .50 cal.
Stock is a nasty hard but figured spalled maple shaped into the Tenn mtn style.
Front end of wood is very cracked and fragile. I have enough under rib stuff from being on a Hawken binge to do the 3/4  stock.
Question is, how far back from muzzle would be approx. place to cut the stock and fit the rib?
Have seen some nice originals in pictures. Barrel is shallow cut for under lugs where there might not be wood, but filling the slot aint no biggie. Plenty of practice there.
 Your thoughts and suggestions please.
Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline gibster

Re: 3/4 stock Tenn. Flinter build
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:52:44 AM »
Dave - I looked at a 3/4-stock Tenn. Rifle a few weeks ago that wasn't for sale. The barrel was about 40-inches long and the stock looked like it was about 16 to 18-inches or so back from the muzzle. Had an under rib the rest of the way. Had a poured nosecap. Don't know if it was made that way or if the forend broke at some point and that was there fix for it. Looked good regardless.

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
Dave,

On my original, stock was about 10” back from 32” barrel. On the one I built, about 12” back from a 36” barrel. Put another way, 10” and 12” of exposed barrel and under rib, respectively. Keeping roughly proportional, I’d say around 15”. Maybe 16”.

I started with the wood a little long, measured, then eyeballed the proportions.

Paul

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 06:03:31 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Greetings, Dave,... !!! ... I've handled a lot of 1/2 (3/4 ??) stocked original East Tennessee rifles.... the question is not the distance from the muzzle to the nose-cap, but the distance from where the ramrod hole goes into the forearm, to the front of the nose-cap... longer or shorter barreled rifles all have about the same length forearm,... but a 46" barrel will have a longer rib than a 40" barrel,... most stocks seem to average 6"-8" from where the hole starts to the end of nose-cap,... and nose-caps on these are longer than most fullstock,... 2-2 1/2" average,... hope this helps,... some pix included,... regards and keep us posted,... CCF... (click on pix will enlarge) ...

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:01:26 AM »
CCF,
Some pics of my original and the one I built as sort of a family homage.

upload a photo