Author Topic: Southern Fowler re-visited.  (Read 6008 times)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Southern Fowler re-visited.
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 09:35:15 PM »
Lynn, has it really been a decade since those photos were posted? That must mean that I have had it for almost 15 years. Guess that I don't do things in a hurry.
WB, you are going to have to go some to find a NE fowler that will match up with your elegant New England rifle. That one is almost a 'one gun collection.'
Dick

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 01:22:27 AM »

Dick, I may want to copy yours, just as Nordnecker did for his VA fowler that I just learned of today-Something old something new thread  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=54410.msg544472#msg544472). 

I'm not in "collecting mode" yet.  But I look mostly at originals now, unlike when I first got interested.

Hold to the Wind

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 03:19:02 AM »
Those are two nice fowlers, the old and the new. Any indication as to who made the original? Neither are too much like the VA piece that I have. It has a walnut stock and a cheekrest. Since it apparently shows reuse of a Scottish(?) barrel, the length is a little short, about 42 inches, as I recall. And nothing at all fancy about it. Only really good things about it besides the unusual barrel are the 'M. Sheetz' lock and a nice side plate.
Photos one day soon, I promise.
Dick

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »
Those are two nice fowlers, the old and the new. Any indication as to who made the original? ...
Dick

It's signed  S Lauck  .  I understand that he was a well-known VA maker.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »
More photos did you say Dick?

just a reminder.
Hold to the Wind

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2019, 10:07:36 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with that sort of guard.
The triggerguard has some resemblance to the Jacob Young rifle pictured on the MESDA website.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2019, 12:25:21 AM »
Bear with me friends. I plan to get some photos of this gun, the VA gun and a few other things, but it may be a month or so. If you want numbers, I can get those for you too. I am pleased that you find these guns to be appealing. Thank you.
Dick 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2019, 02:59:55 AM »
Bear with me friends. I plan to get some photos of this gun, the VA gun and a few other things, but it may be a month or so. If you want numbers, I can get those for you too. I am pleased that you find these guns to be appealing. Thank you.
Dick

No rush at all, but I think I shall make something very strongly resembling your original Southern Fowler. I'm only uncertain what I'll do with the guard and trigger(s!).  And have some other ideas but don't want to get too "imaginary" with it.  Plausible, yeah that's the ticket.  Want to keep it quite plausible

But if I'm shooting it, will be heaving single balls as much as shot, oh but the dove shoot.  Oh boy that'll be fun!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Cajun72

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
nice Fowler's will have to get a copy of the book as well