Author Topic: 50 cal smoothbore being built.  (Read 3323 times)

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
50 cal smoothbore being built.
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:43:05 AM »
My dad is building me a 50 cal smoothbore
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:14:45 PM by Will Payne »
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline FALout

Re: 50 cal smoothbore being built.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:02:17 AM »
Are you gonna help him?
Bob

Offline will payne

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 03:12:04 AM »
I've crowned the barrel.😊
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 02:57:02 PM »
Take some photos and keep us updated on the progress! Do you know any of the other details? Lock type, barrel length, etc?
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline will payne

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
Length of the barrel is 36 inches. I can't post pictures for some reason my iPad won't let me.
🕯
Will

Offline will payne

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
The lock is a left hand early classic flint from L&R.
🕯
Will

Offline will payne

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »
The barrel is a Colerain 7/8.
🕯
Will

Offline will payne

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 12:38:02 AM »
I helped my dad put in the barrel pins on 6/22/18.🙂
🕯
Will

Offline davebozell

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 03:19:06 AM »
Hopefully you are taking many pictures, even if you can't share them with us.  You will cherish them and the gun forever.  A journal would be great as well, to record your thoughts during the build.

Offline will payne

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 03:48:39 AM »
Ok thanks for telling me that great idea.
🕯
Will

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 09:30:26 PM »
Hi, Will.  Your dad should be able to take and post photos; he's no worse with technology than I am.  Tell him I said take the pics and post them; it's easy to post on this site.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline will payne

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 10:08:55 PM »
My dad started to inlet the trigger plate.😊Today
🕯
Will

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 05:16:12 AM »
Length of the barrel is 36 inches. I can't post pictures for some reason my iPad won't let me.

iPads are included on this tutorial http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43575.0
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline will payne

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
Thank you  Dennis I will try to post pic this afternoon.
🕯
Will

Offline will payne

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 08:47:31 PM »
This the lock and I crowned the barrel.

🕯
Will

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 02:10:51 AM »
You did a nice, neat job on that barrel crown.  Obviously you took your time - looks great.

soon you will be building your own long rifle.  All of us had to have a first one, and you are lucky that you are able to help your dad in the shop.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline will payne

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »
Soon I will be posting more pictures.
🕯
Will

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
It looks like that web is about 1/4".  Pretty thick.  You might want to think about thinning that up by dropping the barrel some, particularly at the muzzle.  Thick webs often result in a gun that looks "heavy".  That will mean you will probably have to re-drill the pin holes, but those plug up easily enough with toothpicks. 

Also, be careful about using a rounded rat-tail file for your lock panel sweeps.  They generally yield a radius that is too severe.  You might think about using  something like a half-round file for them, (particularly in the nose) and adjust the radius from there with scrapers.  Mostly those radiuses are changing dimension all the way around the lock, so that it looks like it sort of grew out of the stock, rather than having an "applied" look.  But again, that varies somewhat based on the various schools of the different builds.  Look at lots of originals within your chosen school.  Lock panel margins are often a difficult thing that many struggle with for a while before they get it right.

Offline will payne

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »
Thank you for the advice Mr. Bubbles.
It looks like that web is about 1/4".  Pretty thick.  You might want to think about thinning that up by dropping the barrel some, particularly at the muzzle.  Thick webs often result in a gun that looks "heavy".  That will mean you will probably have to re-drill the pin holes, but those plug up easily enough with toothpicks. 

Also, be careful about using a rounded rat-tail file for your lock panel sweeps.  They generally yield a radius that is too severe.  You might think about using  something like a half-round file for them, (particularly in the nose) and adjust the radius from there with scrapers.  Mostly those radiuses are changing dimension all the way around the lock, so that it looks like it sort of grew out of the stock, rather than having an "applied" look.  But again, that varies somewhat based on the various schools of the different builds.  Look at lots of originals within your chosen school.  Lock panel margins are often a difficult thing that many struggle with for a while before they get it right.
thank you for the advice Mr. Bubbles
🕯
Will

Offline will payne

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 04:56:59 AM »
My dad has removed quite a bit of wood from the stock underneath the Barrel. But he won't have a lot to  time to build it because he has been working 60 hours a week :-\
Will
🕯
Will

Offline will payne

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 12:21:46 AM »
My dad has gotten really fare with my rifle he told me he’d probably be done with it next month.
🕯
Will