Author Topic: WTB: Flintlock Long Rifle (.50 or larger) - edited with higher budget  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Cossack

I'm in the market for another Longrifle, although I also am partial to a fowler.

In a rifle, .54 would be my ideal caliber, but I'll consider a .50 or even a larger bore. A Bucks County style is ideal, but I also like York and Lancaster styles, or early Virginia styles. I'll consider others.

In a fowler, I'd probably prefer .20 Gauge or Larger, but let me know what you have. I'm partial to French Fusil or European designs, especially in walnut stocks. I like the design of the Chambers Colonial Fowler, so something similar to that would be appealing.

I'm looking to spend no more than $1300 including shipping to Montana. I'm not expecting fancy carving, engraving, patchboxes, etc. at this price.

Something like a used Tip Curtis gun or TVM would suit my needs fine.
I'm aware of options like the Chambers  and Kibler kits, and haven't ruled them out, but I figured I'd ask and see what people here have laying around.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:55:54 AM by Cossack »

Offline Mauser06

Re: WTB: Flintlock Long Rifle (.50 or larger) or Fowler/Musket
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:16:57 AM »
Sent you a message. 

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »
One more pm sent!

Offline David R.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 05:32:56 PM »
I have a walnut stocked .62 with oct/rd rifled Colerain barrel Chambers rd face lock. All iron mounted loosely designed after the square breech rifle in Nuemans book? Donít know what it would cost to ship that far?
I would have no quarrel with thee if thou be a friend of liberty.

Offline Cossack

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 03:55:22 AM »
Still looking - pretty sure I want a rifle at this point. Prefer a .54, will consider any school or style. I could pay up to $1700 in a pinch for just the right gun.

Looking for a good serviceable hunting gun that speaks to me...

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 05:45:20 AM »
Still looking - pretty sure I want a rifle at this point. Prefer a .54, will consider any school or style. I could pay up to $1700 in a pinch for just the right gun.

Looking for a good serviceable hunting gun that speaks to me...
I have a MINT Don Bruton 'Boone' rifle, 38" swamped barrel in 54-cal, that I could sell for that limit price. Handles like a dream! Only selling as it isn't left-handed.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Marcruger

Re: WTB: Flintlock Long Rifle (.50 or larger) - edited with higher budget
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 06:55:27 PM »
And Don Bruton makes some fine guns.  You might want to ask for photos and details of that one.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 07:33:57 PM »
None of my business but if I were you Id jump on that Bruton rifle if the pics look good. I have 2 an they are very well made guns with no frills solid built rifles. Mine have kept the freezer full for quite a few yrs now
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 12:47:58 AM »
Sent PM on a .54.
" not all who wander are lost"

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
Here's a no brainer. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=56064.0 Great investment as joe is "movin' on up to the big leagues"
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »

This is Sold pending. 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:28:12 AM by P.Bigham »
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 06:46:18 PM »
Paul thats a great looking Joe Schell rifle.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 08:00:12 PM »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cossack

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 02:06:37 AM »

Looks like another no brainer.

It's pretty for sure. Thinking hard on it. What school or style would you call this one?

Had some other very interesting guns offered as well. I saw the first Joe Schell gun you recommended and think it's gorgeous, but I'm not a fan of grease holes in the buttstock. It's also a .38 caliber, which is smaller than what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

Offline Goose

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
PM sent

Offline Mick C

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 09:26:11 PM »
Wow, whatta deal!!
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline DBoone

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »
PM sent

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 09:52:12 PM »
Yes, Joe Schell's work is super nice.  I like it.  If you were considering one of our kits, but would rather not assemble it, we might still be able to help you out.  We've not advertised it, but we typically direct those who want our kits finished to Chuck Edwards.  If you pick standard wood and have a basic assemble and finish job, I suspect it might be very close to your price range.  Perhaps even meet it.  The Schell rifle is quite nice, but you would be taking a step down with either a Tip Curtis rifle or TVM.  Chuck usually gets the work done pretty fast as well.  Something to consider.  Not sure what TVM gets, but you would have a WHOLE lot more gun for probably a very similar price.  Maybe we should advertise this more....

Jim