Author Topic: Joe Schell makes a fine rifle AND has good looking chickens  (Read 3194 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Joe Schell makes a fine rifle AND has good looking chickens
« on: September 18, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=56064.0

Always lean and clean. I really like this one. Plus the chickens. I seem to recall another builder who is a chicken man.
Andover, Vermont

Offline BOB HILL

Re: Joe Schell makes a fine rifle AND has good looking chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
Joe does make some fine rifles. I love the forged furniture he does. Thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=56064.0

Always lean and clean. I really like this one. Plus the chickens. I seem to recall another builder who is a chicken man.
WAS a chicken man. Big Egg bought me out. :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 06:44:10 PM »
I used to have chickens too-- the fresh eggs were great, but as chicken feed costs went up we transformed our coop into a goat shed. I WAS enslaved to chickens, but now I am a servant to goats. They pay their way by keeping my mountain property wildfire safe.
Galations 2:20

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 08:49:24 PM »
Yes indeed, that is a fine looking piece.

I know Ed Wenger has chickens (and a rooster). I am not a riflemaker (just some leather) but we have some chickens. Lost our Barred Rocks to a virus sadly. Still have five layers and three pets that look like plush animals. 🙂 God bless, Marc

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
I had chickens for about 10 years in Georgia and let them run wild. When you let them run wild the eggs taste a lot better. One day a tornado came along and blew my chickens away. I had over 30 before and ended up with ten. Never did find any of the lost ones. The tornado blew my neighbors chicken house away and my son found it when we were deer hunting about 2 miles from where it was. It was sitting upright and in as good of condition as when it was blown away.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 12:02:45 AM »
You recon he might throw in the chickens if ya buy the rifle ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 05:16:40 AM »
That’s a very nice looking rifle..., clean, crisp lines, really nice finish.

Yep, we have chickens.  I used to let them free range, but fox's took such a toll, I had to expand the pen and keep them penned up.  As to the rooster, I don’t know why I keep him around.  He’s the meanest rooster I’ve ever seen, and I won’t go in the pen without a broom.  I think it’s funny, my wife isn’t nearly as amused...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »
That’s a very nice looking rifle..., clean, crisp lines, really nice finish.

Yep, we have chickens.  I used to let them free range, but fox's took such a toll, I had to expand the pen and keep them penned up.  As to the rooster, I don’t know why I keep him around.  He’s the meanest rooster I’ve ever seen, and I won’t go in the pen without a broom.  I think it’s funny, my wife isn’t nearly as amused...

Ed
A spray bottle will fix his wagon....a  super soaker would be even better. Of course a sharp twist to the neck will do wonders too. ;D
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
Yep. I stupidly reached out to pet that rooster at Ed’s house. He gave me a glare that would turn bread dough into stone. Like I owed him money. I pulled my hand back right quick. His hens are friendly. That rooster.....

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »
I had two roosters a road island red and a game cock. The road island red use to chase my wife around the house. One day he jumped on my son and cut his face pretty bad so we had him for dinner.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
  Neighbor had a rooster. He tried picking me.  Neighbor said well fix em...I grabbed him by the head shook him silly....fried him for dinner..No problemo Oldtravler !

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 06:22:09 PM »
Mike..., a super soaker does work wonders.  Also, I’ve found he hates an umbrella being opened at him!  Problem is, he’s either very stupid and forgets, or just too ornery, because after a couple days he’s back to his old tricks. 

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 06:42:27 PM »
I had a few gamecocks over the years that could be fairly aggressive, but the worst was  a black jersey giant, big dumb barnyard Barney. He snuck up behind me one day and spurred me on both sides of my right knee. He died right on the spot. ;D

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 09:08:58 PM »
Ed's earlier rooster.....

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 04:40:57 AM »
Marc..., that’s a couple roosters ago, he became fox food...

Mike..., yep, that’s what this one is, Black Jersey Giant!  Only reason I’ve kept him around is because he’s staved off at least three fox attacks.  One I thought he was killed.  Long story, but he was okay.  The fox got a hen or two, but I think it would have been a lot worse had he not been around.  Enough of chickens, how about that nice rifle!?

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »
That rifle is a tack driver. Ive seen plenty of targets Joe shot with it. Whomever buys it will have ZERO excuse for missing
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »
I never met an aggressive rooster that (when it was puffed up) a cuff upside the head didn’t send into deep reflection. Aggressive chickens will harass, pester, peck, and once blood is drawn, kill anything it feels like it can bully. If there’s a 20 ounce critter with no arms out there that thinks it can take you, something is out of square....

Joe Schell make a fine rifle...

Offline BJH

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »
A blacksmith buddy of mine had a rooster that tried to spur me. I spun around and booted the critter across the yard. My buddy about died of laughing. Danged bird survived the booting. Hi still laughs when I visit. BJH
BJH

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 07:59:53 AM »
We used to raise a few chickens.  One rooster and a bunch of hens.  Rooster sometimes charge us when we came in to feed them, but we would just brush it away.  Grandmother came to visit one time, got up early and went to feed the chickens before we got up.  Rooster charged grandma, who just turned around and shut the gate.  Grandma then went into the garage, picked up a hatchet, went back to the coop, grabbed the rooster, and took it to the chopping block.  By the time we woke up, it had been cleaned, plucked, and was ready for the roaster. Grandma didn't take any guff from anything, and knew where meat came from.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 06:33:36 PM »
That’s a lot better than chickens deserve.
Andover, Vermont