Author Topic: Lock Plate Swap?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Scota4570

Lock Plate Swap?
« on: September 18, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »

I want a flintlock for a project, but not a germanic plate.  I have the plate shown.  The cock, tumbler, mainspring, and related parts work fine on the percussion plate.  It would need to have some material added as shown to convert to flint.    I would silver solder the piece in and then machine.  OR, I could make a whole new plate. 

Opinions?

Offline rsells

Re: Lock Plate Swap?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »
You might be able to get to where you want to go by using one of Jim Chamber's locks that does not have the plate profile cut.  I have used these before and cut the profile of the plate to match the look I am needing.  The plate on these are just a large rectangular plate.  This option has helped me out twice when I was not satisfied with the profile of the locks on the market.  I can't remember what Jim calls these, but they are on his web site.  You might be able to purchase the plate alone from Jim and use  your internal components, cock, etc.
                                                                              Roger Sells

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »
I think Jim calls them a "Gunsmiths" lock.

Bob Roller

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 10:58:21 PM »
Good idea.  Thank you.

Online mark esterly

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 11:01:46 PM »
would an l&r durs egg fit your needs?
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 04:29:37 AM »
Here's a couple locks I made using Chamber's gunmakers lock. I replaced parts on the outside of the locks to get the look I wanted.