Author Topic: Dressing up the ends of a PB hinge  (Read 1097 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Dressing up the ends of a PB hinge
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:26:42 PM »
Hi,
Some years ago I recall someone on this forum described how he closed off the ends of a patch box hinge.  I cannot remember if he just shortened the pin and then peened the excess cylinder down and then dressed it up with files.  Alternatively, did he file away a little of the bottom half of the end of the hinge so that the top half formed a flap that was hammered down to cover the end?  Any advice would be welcomed.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Re: Dressing up the ends of a PB hinge
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 11:48:47 PM »
Dave, I've simply cut the pin short and closed the ends with a punch with its end shaped like an inverted shallow "U."  make certain the brass is annealed!  If I remember, I used 1/4" music wire and hardened it with Kasenite.  Worked great.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:14:01 AM »
I do it in the manner you described in the first sentence, and it's the way that most of the originals I've seen also appear to have been finished.  It very positively traps the pin which I guess is a plus, although honestly I can't imagine a pin working itself out as usually some portion of the pin hole would sit at least marginally below the edge of the inletting.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 02:47:56 AM »
Hi,
Thanks Wayne and Eric.  I peened over one end tonight and it came out great.  After a couple of blows I realized half the hole in below the wood surface so I did not need to close off the hole completely.  A few taps and I had a nice facet that looks great and seals over the end above the wood.  I'll do the other end when I am ready to permanently mount the hinge pin. Thanks again.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »
 Dave, Ya got a Pic?

Tim

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 04:20:13 AM »
 This was basically done as described above. There was nothing filed off at the bottom of the hinge however.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell