Author Topic: better flint = faster ignition?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline recurve

better flint = faster ignition?
« on: September 20, 2019, 11:41:26 PM »
I made some "flints " from white flint (bought none here in pa) like Rich P. and was really impressed with the hotter/bigger spark as compared to my French/English . really seemed to give a faster ignition of main charge  ;D.. but didn't last long (I need to learn how to knap better) anyone else find this true?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: better flint = faster ignition?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 11:53:45 PM »
Are they getting short or getting dull?  If the edge angle is stout in the beginning, when it dulls a little, it’s game over.  On the other hand if the edge angle is delicate the flint may dull quickly. I’d say 10-15 shots from an improvised flint is pretty good.
Andover, Vermont

Offline recurve

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:16:14 AM »
I got 10+ on each then the shape needed knapping (started to round at corners/ edges) so I went to French . I was wondering if this flint was heat treated thus soft? Made from shards for fire making. Flint looks as fine/smooth as china , glass like. I loved the hot spark!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 12:31:20 AM »
I just loved Rich's Missouri flints. Real sparklers...... sometimes they would shatter like glass, other times 100 rounds...... but they ALWAYS  throw fire!
Now, if we could just get him to make some more!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 02:24:30 AM »
Rich's River Rocks are all I use, if I have a choice.  I do have some amber French flints and Black English flints, but as long as I have Rich's rocks, I roll! :)
All of my flint locks like them. (I only have 3) For me, they normally last 50 shots, sometimes 100.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 02:19:40 AM »
I just loved Rich's Missouri flints. Real sparklers...... sometimes they would shatter like glass, other times 100 rounds...... but they ALWAYS  throw fire!
Now, if we could just get him to make some more!
I second that. Some of the best flints I have ever used were made by Rich. Jerry