Author Topic: Jewlers saw blades  (Read 874 times)

Offline WKevinD

Jewlers saw blades
« on: September 25, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
I have been using #2 blades for most of my work but I do not know if I'm missing something.
I use them for silver, brass, iron and wood.
When should I use a different size? What size would be best?
Are there round blades I could use for extending underlug pin holes?

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Jewlers saw blades
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »
Use larger blades for thicker metal and wood. Use smaller blades for thinner metal and detailed work like cutting out patch boxes and such.

Offline G_T

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:33:46 PM »
For a saw blade to cut well without badly chewing up the worn and becoming very difficult to control, there should be at least 2 1/2 teeth engaged in the thickness of the cut. Properly tensioned, such a blade will cut pretty quickly.

As you add more teeth than that, the area under the teeth for chips to collect decreases. Add too many more teeth, and the blade has trouble cutting as it is clogging itself - generating more heat than cutting. That's not good for the blade or the quality of the cut.

So how thick is the material you want to cut? Chances are you have a variety of different thicknesses you require cutting. So you need a variety of blades.

For stuff I do, I use #3/0 and #2 a fair bit.

Here's the handy chart: https://blog.esslinger.com/jewelers-saw-blade-sizes-chart-2/

ALWAYS use a quality blade. Rio Laser Gold has been mentioned. They are not bad. Other good ones are Pike, Antelope, Hercules. Perhaps not an exhaustive list. Pike is available on Amazon which makes picking up a few easy. Nowdays I find you can occasionally get a batch of lemons regardless of the manufacturer. But sticking with known quality reduces the odds of a bad batch.

When they start getting dull, replace. But, since you're asking the question, you'll break them before wearing them out. It takes practice to get to where you wear one out! Use lube. Wax works. Oil works - but NOT for wood. Use what you've got or get something to use. Insufficient tension and during the stroke they detension and break. Too much tension and they break. There is a learning curve. Let the blade do the work. Don't force it. Particularly don't force it on the return stroke. Orient the blade to cut on the down stroke - towards the saw frame handle. Use a good saw frame. Cheap ones often don't work nearly as well, any more. It used to be you could purchase the cheap German saw frame and except for the handle being on the thin side, it was good. But, not since production has moved to asia. I like the Green Lion saw frame, The Knew Concepts saw frame with the cam tensioning lever - but not the most recent revision, and an older German with replaced handle. There have been other good ones over the years. I keep different size blades in each which makes it handy. But I have a jeweler's bench setup so YMMV. A saw frame with narrower throat depth is easier to control. But, it can't cut as far without running into the frame. My frames range from 2 1/4" depth to about 5" depth.

Hope this helps some!

Gerald

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »
 What ever you do don't buy cheap blades. Cheap blades are only good for the garbage can. I cut everything from 3/16 mild steel to .010 thick gold and silver. I always figure at least 3 teeth for the thickness of the metal and buy the very best blades available. Usually the German or the Swiss blades are the best. When you tension them in the frame it is best to tension them a little on the slack side. If they are too tight they tend to brake more often. I think the round blades are inferior to the regular blades. For best cutting of metal put a light coat or wax on the back side. That will lubricate the blade and make for smoother cutting. When cutting very thin metal glue your metal to a thin  wooden stick like a tongue depressor.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:51:36 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.