Author Topic: If you only had 1 !  (Read 4318 times)

Online bob in the woods

If you only had 1 !
« on: September 29, 2019, 12:31:45 AM »
 Well.....2    :)     I have been active for years in black powder matches, and 1750's to 1770's historical reenactment
Bottom line is that I simply have too much stuff .   4 different tents, shot bags, horns, shooting accessories galore,  clothes etc etc.  Out of this list, which 1 [ or 2 ] would you keep ?    10 bore Chambers NE fowling gun /   20 bore early 1750's style parts gun / .54 cal Virginia style rifle /  .40 cal Lancaster style rifle with set triggers.      I'm thinking that I could cover all the bases with the 10 bore but the .40 would allow for target shooting.  Keeping the .54 alone would rule out turkeys and fowling so that is not an option.  :-\   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: If you only had 1 !
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 01:07:48 AM »
I think the 40 and 20 would cover my needs.  Use a ball in the 20 for deer and the 40 for light work.   10-bore balls are heavy and a 54 is wasteful of lead and powder-and possibly dangerous for barking squirrels. Rough on the bark, that's for sure.   

I dunno though any time we "have to pick just one"--seems like a fantasy thread to me.  Says he with just one rifle, but another in process (and likely finished this season), and a third planned and a smoothie in the "thinkin' 'bout it" stages.  Eventually I should have a 54, 40, 30, and about a 16 bore of Southern fashion. And then I'll know better what else I'd like to have or don't need. 

Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »
Interesting problem. I haven't owned a gun in more than 20 years. ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 01:24:34 AM »
Great question. If I was forced to choose it would be easy. Keep the .54 and the .40, with these two you can hunt everything except waterfowl. Millions of turkeys in your preferred time era were shot with either.
The "Muskrat" has spoken!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 01:38:06 AM »
Putting some real thought to this, I'd keep the 10 bore unless you shoot a lot of target stuff.  I'd just keep them all, they ain't costing you anything.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:37:57 AM »
This is a matter of space, since the accessories etc take of room too.  We are in a smaller house, and my wife needs room too !    I hunt ducks and geese, so I  need a smoothbore. I'm leaning towards the 10 bore and the .40

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 05:53:23 AM »
Great question. If I was forced to choose it would be easy. Keep the .54 and the .40, with these two you can hunt everything except waterfowl. Millions of turkeys in your preferred time era were shot with either.
The "Muskrat" has spoken!

In many, if not most, states, there is no legal turkey hunting with a rifle of any caliber.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 05:59:53 AM »
If just keeping one, I'd keep the 20 gauge. It seems the most versatile, without the appetite of the 10 bore.
If keeping 2, the 10 bore and the .40 caliber.
Here in CT . I can't hunt squirrels with a m.l. rifle larger than .36 caliber, and can't hunt deer with smaller than a .45 caliber, also can't hunt turkey with any rifle, but I can hunt turkey and small game with shot from a  20 gauge smoothbore, or deer with a single lead ball, 20 gauge and up.

Your laws and regulations may vary.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 07:22:15 AM »
My problem isn't with choosing one or two guns, but allocating space in our moderate home for the additional rifles I have in my head to build for myself.

I cannot empathize with you, Bob.  Sorry.  Not much help here.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 08:58:35 AM »
Down here in the state of Georgia it is legal to hunt turkeys with a muzzleloading rifle.  I do hunt them with a .40 flintlock and take my share, plus the .40 is a good squirrel caliber if you hit them in the right spots.
So, since small game may be the only edible game I would keep the .40 cal. I would also keep the 10 gauge smoothbore. And the .54 because a large caliber just might be needed some day.
I know you said 1 or 2 but I feel that might force picking a favorite instead of a more needed gun, so I picked 3.

I have a space problem also, both my wife and I tend to keep everything we ever owned. My little space is a spare bedroom without a bed but I have a recliner, a TV, and a large closet.  The large closet has a gun safe for shorter guns and pistols but my longrifles simply stand in the corner behind the safe. I keep rifle/caliber specific shooting supplies in a shooting bag that I keep fully stocked. Each bag and a powder horn hangs on a clothes hanger in the closet. I am thinking about making a gunrack for the wall to free up more closet space. To keep from losing any guns I'd hang them from the ceiling if I had to.    There is also a dresser that holds more of my hunting gear. If I just had to choose 2 it would be the .40 and the 10 gauge.

I am drawn to rifles and hunt with one every chance I get. I count my blessings that I live in a state that allows me to hunt turkeys with a flintlock rifle.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »
The 10 for sure and if space allows, the .40. But then, for me, a lot would depend on how they look.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Frank

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »
The two I would choose would be the 20 gauge smoothbore  and the 40 caliber rifle. The 20 would be for hunting. Load it with shot for small game and round ball for big game. The 40 caliber rifle would suit all my target shooting needs.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
A no brainer for me. The .54 would be my pick but my needs are different from yours. I like to hunt for elk and mature muleys.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 03:17:30 PM »
keep them all.   one in this closet one in that, under the bed the sofa.   lots of options
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »
Well, thanks for the input. I've decided to get rid of a number of more modern guns instead.  :)   

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »
Well, thanks for the input. I've decided to get rid of a number of more modern guns instead.  :)
Well, geeez, you didn't tell us that was an option. Lol.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
This is a matter of space, since the accessories etc take of room too.  We are in a smaller house, and my wife needs room too !    I hunt ducks and geese, so I  need a smoothbore. I'm leaning towards the 10 bore and the .40
Build your wife one of those trendy "she sheds" and put all her junk out there.

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »
I like Mike's last response the best!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
Mike should start an advice chat room. He's very good at coming up with the best answers  ;D

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 06:19:49 PM »
I agree with the 20 bore and 40. If I could have only two of my own choosing it would be a 20 bore and a .36, covering all my bases as I haven’t shot a deer farther than 50 yards since I was hunting Sitka Black Tails in the ‘80’s, and I also hunt Turkeys and small game often.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 06:22:30 PM »
Mike should start an advice chat room. He's very good at coming up with the best answers  ;D

I can see it now, "Doctor Mike".....  Likely responsible for a great many suicides, LOL!

Re which to keep as originally asked;
The 10n-bore;
It'll shoot 20 bore loads beautifully, but the 20 would have  a hard time shooting 10 bore loads .
It'll also shoot a .750" ball a lot easier than the 20  would.....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
While reading the first few lines of your post, Bob, my instant reaction from the list, was the 10 bore and .40. Another line of post and they seemed your choice as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 08:21:30 PM »
As a hunter, there is nothing that I do which isn't well within the capability of the 10 bore. The only exception might be moose hunting , the limiting factor being distance; however I'm comfortable up to 100 yards or so and could live with that.
When it comes to fowling, there is the question of geese. The 10 simply does all shot loads better than a 20. I used my .54 for bear this Fall, but that was only because I wanted to. The 10 would have been just as good if not better. Distances are within 25 yards, often closer.  The .40 is good for smaller game, varmints and target shooting.  Having passed the mid 60's mark, the only replacement I might consider for the 10 might be a 16 in the years to come...If I was staring out from scratch, I would get a 16 bore and never look back. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 11:58:49 PM »
Yep, the 20 and the .40.  But first I'd trade the .40 for a .45.  When it comes right down to it you could just move her $#@* so you'll have room for your stuff.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 12:30:19 AM »
If I could have only one it would be the 54. I have taken everything from squirrels to deer with mine and won som matches with it too. I I could keep 2 it would be the 54 and the 10. ga. I love the 40 and have taken small game and deer with it as well as winning matches with it too. I think that the storage shed for the other stuff and keeping them all is the best option.