Author Topic: If you only had 1 !  (Read 4315 times)

Offline snapper

Re: If you only had 1 !
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 01:38:31 AM »
IF I had only one or two, my wife would call the doctor because I would sick.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2019, 01:48:24 AM »
You all are referring to 1 or 2 dozen,  right?
Stop Marxism in America

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2019, 04:54:43 AM »
I must be a wuss. Not sure I want to shoot a 10 bore with the round ball when it seems unnecessary.   A 20 ga seems the better all rounder for me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2019, 05:14:51 AM »
A 20 is pushing things when you are really after ducks and geese.  For turkeys, a longer shot column isn't perhaps that much of a detriment, but the 10 just patterns so much better....it's like launching a sheet of shot, not a column.  Honestly, a .735 ball over 100 gr of FFg is deadly, and really not punishing. I don't find it much worse than the 20 with a .600 ball and 100 gr of FFg     It's the fowling that gives the 10 the nod.   As I said, if I started over, I'd get a 16 bore and leave the 20 and the 10    A 16 bore would be great for everything I hunt.  Good grief ... ::)   I think I'm talking myself into getting another gun !!!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 07:16:36 AM »
Ok, the original question was, If you could only have one...... without seeing them, the most versatile would be the 20ga smoothbore.
Roundball for big game, and shot for birds, bunnies, squirrel.  You could even squeak out a little target work in a pinch.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline alacran

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
If I only had a choice of one of your guns, God forbid. It would be the 10 bore, and I would install a rear sight on it. Once again there is no substitute for cubic inches.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Lobo

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2019, 02:52:12 AM »
When it comes to a meat gun the 10ga will do it all. Keep the .40 too, a man needs at least one rifle.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2019, 04:45:34 AM »
Bob in the Woods, it sounds like a hunters paradise there. Good for you.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2019, 05:01:17 AM »
Bob in the Woods, it sounds like a hunters paradise there. Good for you.

Yup. A 10 bore is like teats on a boar hog in the hills of Tennessee. I guess I could shoot one of my pet Toulouse Geese.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2019, 07:30:01 PM »
I have a 10 bore that I think started life as a Chambers NE fowling piece kit.  I love it.  I would definitely hang on to that one.  What about thinning out all the associated tents, clothing, accouterments and such.  That stuff can take up a huge amount of space.  The guns you mentioned would all fit neatly on one wall.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 03:17:17 AM »
I would be happy to hang on to some of those for you.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
Well, thanks for the input. I've decided to get rid of a number of more modern guns instead.  :)

Hahahahah, couldn't do it could ya! Heck I understand. Got me thinking though and I still believe my one gun would be a .58 caliber smooth bore with a 46"-48" barrel, configured in my version of a Lehigh, which is a very pleasant gun to shoot that doesn't require odd contortions to keep from getting a busted cheek.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Collector

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
I 'entertained' the idea of having only one flintlock to do it all and settled on a 16 ga. smoothrifle.  The idea originated around a longrifle amply capable of taking both deer and turkey in GA, where I resided at the time.  After lucking into a very early Getz 16 ga. (.652) barrel and purchasing a lock from Jim Chambers, Allen Martin built that longrifle, for me, inspired principally by Newcomer and Fondersmith (and other Lancaster elements) it was featured in the Contemporary Blog, about 07, December 2012.

If I wanted another 'one to do it all' longrifle, I'd stick with that same decision.

Good luck!

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2019, 05:06:20 AM »
I 'entertained' the idea of having only one flintlock to do it all and settled on a 16 ga. smoothrifle.  The idea originated around a longrifle amply capable of taking both deer and turkey in GA, where I resided at the time.  After lucking into a very early Getz 16 ga. (.652) barrel and purchasing a lock from Jim Chambers, Allen Martin built that longrifle, for me, inspired principally by Newcomer and Fondersmith (and other Lancaster elements) it was featured in the Contemporary Blog, about 07, December 2012.

If I wanted another 'one to do it all' longrifle, I'd stick with that same decision.

Good luck!

This'n? http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/12/allen-martin.html
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Collector

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »

Good luck!

This'n? http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/12/allen-martin.html

Yep... that would be the one.

Here's another link with a few more details. 

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24450.msg234292#msg234292

BTW, Allen just finished that early Reading/Berks rifled piece I'd been think'n about, back then and I took delivery at this years CLA.  Another beauty...     

Thanks for your interest.