Author Topic: Some advice on my front sight?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline fahnenschmied

Some advice on my front sight?
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
I'm building myself a "Carolina Gun", based heavily on "The TR Gun" with some details from "The Yuchi Gun", a similar "Type G" from a burial site. Almost done - last weekend I hacked out a front sight, based on the top view of the end of the barrel, tennoned and silver soldered in place.  But none of the photos of it show much of the shape.  I suspect the base should be dressed down to the contour of the barrel, and perhaps the blade shaped to a more or less football shape from above?  There was a post of an archaeologically recovered gun barrel with a sight in place, but for whatever reason Photobucket images are blurry on my computor.  Thanks!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Some advice on my front sight?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:35:34 PM »
Some I’ve seen seem to have an oblong shape to the blade. I’d definitely dress down the base to make it blend to the barrel contour closely.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:33:23 PM »
This is not necessarily advice, its just what worked for me. I built a chiefs grade trade gun, with a thirty inch barrel. The sight I used was a solder on Underlug repurposed into a sight. I found I had soldered it on just a hair to the left. It was shooting a little low, so I tried using the apex of blade, and the base on the right side. It shot like a rifle.

Hungry Horse

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 02:19:20 AM »
I think this is from the Wilson trade gun that used by be in the Dresslar collection. Not sure where I got the picture (probably from here!) or if this is properly considered a Type G or just a Carolina gun (I haven't figured out the variations and terminology yet!).
Wilson11" border="0

It doesn't look like it has much of a base at all. I have a rather poor quality scan from Hanson's Firearms of the Fur Trade with with the same side shot of another type G nose area (Flanagan collection) and it has the same apparent lack of a base, though the blade is differently shaped, being much longer and the classic rifle-style triangle shape.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 03:33:27 PM »
... but for whatever reason Photobucket images are blurry on my computor...

Download the image to anywhere and then open it-should clear up.   I just learned this. It's a pain, but for some pics it can be worth the hassle. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:44:20 PM »
Hmn - I tried downloading it to my computer desktop - no change.  Worth a try though.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:49:13 PM by fahnenschmied »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 12:42:05 AM »
Hi,
Here is an example from an original English fowler

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 10:12:38 AM »
I would reduce considerably, the height of the base by filing the height and smoothing the corners down to the barrel. I would
likely just replace it with one of these.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/4/FS-NW-2-B
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/3/FS-FUSIL-1-GS
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/2/FS-FUSIL-1-B

or

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »
I wanted a clearer image of this sight, from an archaelogically recovered trade gun - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/richpierce/originals/Williamsgunfrontsight.jpg

Offline jrb

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »
this first photo is the one posted by Rich Pierce of the Williams gun found in the Suwannee and conserved by James Levy. the blade was eroded away likely from the current and river bottom abrasion. Note though the base definitely isn't filed round to fit the round barrel profile.

the second picture is from a relic website and (MAY) be a similar front sight found in illinois. the rear site in this photo seems to be missing the front finial.

Offline jrb

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
Also, in his original post here, James Levy says the front sight on the Williams gun WAS dovetailed into the barrel

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
Many thanks, jrb, for the better image of the front sight that Levy conserved.  On my gun I have more or less dovetailed it too, just a slight bump with a chisel to hold it while silver-soldering.  I could indeed file it to fit the barrel contour, but I wanted better and clearer images of this type of sight.  Here is the top view of the TR gun sight - a rectangular base similar to this recovered front sight - but rather unclear as to what the original shape might have been.  It is not much like the teardrop based front sights seen on finer fowlers from a later period, but more akin to a brass underlug in shape.  I can always reshape it later. 

honda accord sport 0 60

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 12:31:20 AM »
Hi,
Here is an example from an original English fowler

dave

Hi Dave.  Not sure, but I think I made that sight.  If that's the gun you got from me, the barrel has been "stretched".  Hard to remember for sure though.

Jim

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 03:20:35 AM »
Hi Jim,
Yes it is.  I assume you restored it as close to what you thought was original as possible.  Actually most English fowler sights I've seen are either chiseled into the barrel

or spider sights.

dave
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:23:36 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Levy

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 03:47:06 AM »
The dovetail for the front sight of the Williams gun looked like it might have been done with a sharp chisel and slightly humped or domed in the middle of the dovetail.  When the gun came into the Conservation Lab, it was missing it's front and rear sights.  I asked them how they cleaned it off and the responded with a high pressure garden hose.  I asked them to go back to the driveway that they'd washed it off on and look for any pieces of brass metal (sights).  They did, and returned with both the sights.  I took the remains of the Williams gun to Mel Hankla's show at Cumberland last year for everyone to study.  As thin and soft as these muzzles were, I'm thinking they must have had some type of mandrel to fit into the bore before they started cutting on them with a hammer and a chisel.  James Levy
James Levy