Author Topic: Feather Hole diameter?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Feather Hole diameter?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 04:10:28 PM »
Re not being able to use found feathers down there in the US, (protected species etc) that is one crazy law.
We never even Think about it up here...

We don’t either here in Tennessee.  ;)

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 04:42:48 AM »
I’ve always admired gold finch and mocking birds. From afar of course.  Whenever I see a feather on the ground I get out my binoculars for an “up close” look; I won’t get within arm’s length of one lest I be accused of possessing such contraband.  Cause even when ya think you’re alone, you’re probably not.  Never know if some Dudley Dooright is lurking behind a tree somewhere and it would just make their day to finger wag.  No sir, wouldn’t want to mess with em.  I hear tell they’ll throw ya in jail in that same wing wear they put mattress tag ripper offers.
I hear tell that cardinal and blue jay are also perfect for touch hole liners.  But I certainly would not know.  Steer far clear of them as well.  Come across a blue jay feather, I cut a new trail to avoid its vicinity.

Offline snapper

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »
I dont think most in the USA really think about it either.

Sure it might be illegal, but how many people actually know anyone that got in trouble for it?

Having an eagle tail feather for sale at a flea market is a little different then a blue jay feather in my hatband.  If that is all they got to worry about they are not working hard enough.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
Unless things have changed behind my back, Blue-jays aren't protected up here, and a good few get chopped every year for making pigs of themselves at the bird -feeders.
Col. Peter Hawker said to use a quill that fit snugly into the touchhole, and stated that the quill would draw moisture from the charge if any was present.
This is for what it's worth, and I can not say whether right or wrong; Only that he is recommending an entire not cut quill tip.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »
This is one of the reasons I read this forum every day.

The fact that there can be close to thirty posts discussing in detail minutia regarding a touchole feather makes me smile and learn something at the same time.

Thanks,
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »
This is the first feather post that doesn’t mention going to the slammer.

Opps.  I missed page 2.