Author Topic: Recommendations needed for browning/bluing.  (Read 892 times)

Offline Flipper17

• Starting Member
Recommendations needed for browning/bluing.
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
Good morning.
First let me say I have learned much from this website and from all of you who share your knowledge with us "newbies". So thank you.
I bought a gun recently, actually my first, that is "in the white". Despite keeping it in a climate controlled safe, I noticed it had some light rust fingerprints on it the last time I got it out. I quickly rubbed it down with some oil and removed most of the rust.
I live in western Pennsylvania, and I bought the gun to hunt deer with. Thus, it will be used in rain, snow, etc. in the next couple of months. My thoughts are that I should have it browned or blued. Or do I just let it go and develop a patina on the outside. I am usually meticulous with my gun cleaning, so in this case, am I overreacting?
If anyone can recommend someone in western/central Pa that could provide browning service, I would appreciate it. My google search failed, and I did contact the Log Cabin, who referred me back to this sight.
Thanks again.
Filipper17

Offline T*O*F

Re: Recommendations needed for browning/bluing.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
I quickly rubbed it down with some oil and removed most of the rust.
Whatever you end up doing, you need to remove that oil or make whomever does the work aware of it.  It will cause the browning/bluing solution not to work.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Recommendations needed for browning/bluing.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 10:36:33 PM »
I have always browned or rust blued my rifles, except for one.  I built Chambers' Mark Silver Virginia rifle for myself, and left the barrel 'armory bright'.  Over the years it has dulled down considerably especially around the breech area.  Now, I don't live in a humid climate, though I have used the rifle in rain and snow.  It is not rusty.  I suppose it boils down to personal taste.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.