Author Topic: Roy Keeler Rifle  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Wyoduster

Roy Keeler Rifle
« on: October 12, 2019, 07:47:14 PM »
I have this 45 cal. rifle I believe it to be a Roy "Pa" Keeler Rifle. Pulled off the lock and there it is...
Was planning on selling it or converting to a Flintlock but now feels like its something more. If selling, does it being made by Roy K. worth more and how much do I ask? Is it collectable?

Offline heinz

Re: Roy Keeler Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 11:09:01 PM »
Roy Keeler was a fairly prolific lock maker in the 1950s and 60s. He made workable flint locks and was a solid guy to do business with.  That is a nice Bedford style percussion lock.  I do not know enough about Roy's rifle work to speak to this rifle being his work or not.

Many of these "mid-century modern" muzzleloaders do not get the respect they deserve.  They marked a major resurgence in interest in muzzleloaders and most were serious range or hunting guns.  Made to use, not hang on the wall, they reflect some of the limited knowledge on styles and schools we have developed today
kind regards, heinz

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:52:18 PM »
Roy Keeler was a fairly prolific lock maker in the 1950s and 60s. He made workable flint locks and was a solid guy to do business with.  That is a nice Bedford style percussion lock.  I do not know enough about Roy's rifle work to speak to this rifle being his work or not.

Many of these "mid-century modern" muzzleloaders do not get the respect they deserve.  They marked a major resurgence in interest in muzzleloaders and most were serious range or hunting guns.  Made to use, not hang on the wall, they reflect some of the limited knowledge on styles and schools we have developed today
W.G.Sutter is stamped on the lock under Roy's stamp. so I am guessing its a Sutter Lock.. used by Roy on this Build.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »
That's what I thought as well. I knew Sutter and this looks like his work. Roy's name was possibly
to identify the gun rather than to take credit for the lock making. I would say that tumbler is made
from a Chrysler or Packard torsion bar. Roy hade a 54 caliber flintlock he called "The Moose Gooser"
and dived into an icy lake to get it back after it was knocked off a boat..

Bob Roller