Author Topic: RCA Vol. II ?  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
RCA Vol. II ?
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:23:52 PM »
I have RCA Vol. I and the Notes book by Shumway and I look at them every day.  Is Vol. II worth getting?  It looks like it is more about the history prior to rifles being made in the U.S. than actual pictures and info on rifles I like to learn about.  If it's a good book worth getting, let me know.  I don't have it and I'm willing to purchase it so I'm not trying to cause a flame here.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: RCA Vol. II ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:56:26 PM »
Volume 2 is well worth it. Lots of important rifles in there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:07:20 PM »
You'd better hurry.  Vol I is sold out everywhere but Amazon.  Neither I or II appear on TOW's site.  Hopefully, they're revising them for a reissue. 
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Jason C

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
Vol 2 is definitely worth it. Muzzleloader Builders Supply shows it in stock. It has some different schools in it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »
Vol II is just like Vol I. A big focus on rifles of the south.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »
What Mike said. Buy it.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 01:27:07 AM »
" A big focus on rifles of the south."

well, supposed rifles of the south, anyway... :D

If you have any interest at all in longrifles, you must get it.  And get it now, while it's available.  Most of "our" books are limited editions, available for a short time, and when they're gone, they're usually gone forever.  I'm kind of surprised RCA is still available now.  Several (!) years ago, RCA was out of print.  No one had any.  I did have the opportunity to get the leather bound set for $250... unfortunately, I passed, thinking it an exhorbitant sum.  I went along for a while, hoping to find them.  Mr. Shumway was in bad health, and everyone was saying that there was no way they would be reprinted.  But I simply had to have them, couldn't do without them any longer, no matter the cost.  I finally came across a volume II.  I paid $250 for it.  A while later, I found a set of I and II, for $500, which I bought as quickly as I could, and sold the volume II that I had for the same $250 that I paid for it.  Even though it wasn't long after that that they were suddenly available again for 60 bucks a copy, it was still money well spent.  For a gunsmith, an absolute necessity.  Now, I have wished for better views and cursed those d@3n detail-blurring, depth-destroying "painted light" B&W photos for years, but I still consider them must-haves.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:32:41 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »
All unidentified rifles are VA rifles. Everybody knows that. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »
Have you looked at Shumwaypublisher.com ?  They List RCA Vol II for $60.00.  No listing for  Vol. I, but they also list a few other books from the Longrifle series.

westbrook

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 07:52:39 PM »
I contacted Dorothy Shumway yesterday and she said they hope to have a new printing of vol 1 in 2020.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 08:25:16 AM »
I just received a copy of Volume 2 from Muzzleloader Builder Supply. Tonight I ordered a copy of Volume 1 from Jedediah Starr Trading Company. It is for sale on their website but I suppose it is possible I will get an e-mail tomorrow say sorry, it is out of stock. But it looks like they have it. Paid $60 for each.

Offline flehto

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »
I have both volumes of the RCA books and seeing I favor building  the LR styles  contained in Vol.1, I  rarely look through Vol.ll.  Built 1 early Virginia LR and Vol.ll  was somewhat of  a help when building it. I "ve built many Bucks County and Lancaster LRs of which the originals  are all  in Vol.1. Shown is the early Virginia LR which has the characteristic early  Virginia buttstock architecture and the Bplate is 2-1/8" wide. .......Fred

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:50:00 PM by flehto »

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 04:31:26 PM »
I’m going to have to build a bookshelf in my bathroom.   With all the frontiersman, muzzle blast and shumway books,  my little magazine rack by the toilet is busting at the seams. 

Offline t.caster

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »
Definitely worth buying.
Tom C.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »
I’m going to have to build a bookshelf in my bathroom.   With all the frontiersman, muzzle blast and shumway books,  my little magazine rack by the toilet is busting at the seams.

Mike, that admission isn't going to help the resale value of your book collection!!  ;D :) ;)
Joel Hall

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 09:16:54 PM »

Mike, that admission isn't going to help the resale value of your book collection!!  ;D :) ;)
“This collection stinks!”
Stop Marxism in America

Offline msellers

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 05:21:30 AM »
I was going to offer to let you borrow my volume 2 until the bathroom storage admission. Now I am not so sure that I have the proper immunizations for that offer.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 06:21:57 AM »
Haha,  with 5 kids running around the house,  that’s the only place I can get some peace.   ;D  There’s nothing like getting into a good read on the pot.  You’all are missing out.

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 08:11:36 AM »
Haha,  with 5 kids running around the house,  that’s the only place I can get some peace.   ;D  There’s nothing like getting into a good read on the pot.  You’little are missing out.

"MOMMY!!!!!! MOMMY!!!!!!!  Daddy's reading in the toilet again!!!!!!!"

"MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKEE"

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »
I just received a copy of Volume 1 from Jedediah Starr Trading Company for $60 plus shipping. The one that I got is new and signed and dated 8 July, 2002 by the author. So there are still a few of these out there for sale. Has this been sitting on a shelf there for 17 years?

Offline jrb

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 12:06:33 PM »
Nine days ago I was at the Log Cabin Shop muzzleloading in ohio and they still had both 1 & 2 on the shelf for $60 each.