Author Topic: side-by-side photos comparing barrel lengths - can anyone share?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Cossack

Sorry if this is a silly request, but I can't find much in the way of photos comparing different barrel lengths of longrifles next to each other for easy comparison of proportions. If anyone has a photo or could take a photo comparing two or more longrifles with say, 38", 42", 44", etc. (Those seem to be the most common), just for a comparative view of lengths, that would be an interesting reference piece, I think.

I have lots of photos of old guns side by side, but they tend to have even longer barrel lengths. I'm most interested in comparing the most commonly available barrel lengths available from the major barrelmakers today.

I find I see photos of longrifles, and guess what the barrel length is, and half the time I'm wrong. Part of the problem is that barrel and wood thickness vary, and so a "heavier" rifle with a long barrel might have similar proportion to a shorter, slenderer gun.

To get to the point, I would especially like to see 38" barrel guns next to longer guns. I'm tempted to get a 38" barrel rifle, but I keep thinking it will look too short or stubby as longrifles go, especially compared to longer guns.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:18:07 AM by Cossack »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: side-by-side photos comparing barrel lengths - can anyone share?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 02:26:42 PM »
38" is generally pretty short for a longrifle unless it is pretty early.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mick C

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 11:22:55 PM »
Hopefully this will help in visualizing barrel lengths.  They are from top.... 38"; 41"; 42"; 46"; and the fowling piece at the bottom is also 46"

My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 07:09:00 PM »
I like a C weight 38" barrel for its balance.  A .54cal. would be my first choice.  38" is not that stubby.  My 31" .60cal. is on the short side, but it fits the style of the rifle(English stalking).   Your mileage may vary.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:13:17 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:18:00 AM »
My 38 inch barreled longrifles handle very well in these Alabama thickets. They also handle well for us short fat rednecks
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning