Author Topic: Next lock  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Next lock
« on: October 11, 2019, 08:28:35 PM »
3D design model of our next lock. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Next lock
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 08:40:59 PM »
 That looks great, love the software.

Thanks, Tim

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
Woo hoo put me on the list Jim. I've been waiting for someone to put out another good late lock. I hope you put one of the high breasted cocks on it.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 09:24:41 PM »
Woo hoo put me on the list Jim. I've been waiting for someone to put out another good late lock. I hope you put one of the high breasted cocks on it.

Yes, sir.  It'll have a high breasted cock.  I'll also be offering this with a waterproof pan.  Should make a great looking and functioning lock.

Jim

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 09:29:20 PM »
Hi,
That would be a nice lock, particularly with a narrower guttered pan.  I assume the length will match the current Chambers late Ketland.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 09:36:39 PM »
This lock is a little smaller than the Chambers Ketland.  It measures about 4.75"

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 10:02:48 PM »
Here is a fantastic lock made by by Frank House.  He has been gracious enough to help when I have questions or need someone to bounce ideas off of.  He's arranged me to get hold of this lock and I'll be using it as a guide for the waterproof pan version.  It's about the same size as the lock I've shown.  The cock will be very similar on both versions I'll be offering.  Frank modeled this lock off of a great original that he thought had never been mounted up in a gun.  It has some subtle features that make you think it might have been a Philadelphia product rather than an English export, but who can be sure.  Regardless the lock Frank created is really beautiful to my eye.  He's certainly one of the very best.

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 11:11:47 PM »
Very promising...

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 11:38:45 PM »
Hi Jim,
It will be a fine lock.  I am glad you are fitting the sear spring well below the top edge of the plate.  That allows the tail of the plate to be tapered thinner into a different profile. 

dave

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 11:46:48 PM »
I'm glad your making it a bit smaller than Jim's lock. Now you have me really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Keep up the good work Jim. I just wish you already had them available since I have a pair of pistols to build.

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 12:34:54 AM »
And of course I lefties too right?  ;)

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 12:36:25 AM »
Hi Jim, just wondering if this new lock would work on a Manton style rifle or would it be too small or of the wrong style?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 12:56:53 AM »
Hi Smylee,
It should be very good for a 1795-1810 Manton styled gun particularly if he employs a waterproof pan.  It is exactly the right size for a fowler and rifle but it is still a bit to large for pistols if you desire a true British profile.  Of course other style pistols often had larger locks.  For British pistols of the period the lock needs to be less than 4.5".  Unfortunately, nobody today makes a good 1760s-1820s British pistol lock. 

dave 

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 01:44:58 AM »
Thanks for that info Dave. I had thought it might be of the right style but wondered about the size when used with a heavy breech large bore (12 G) barrel rifle. I would love to see one with the sliding safety.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 02:08:48 AM »
Hi Smylee,
I am sure Jim is developing this lock for his southern mountain rifle to replace the Chambers late Ketland.  As such, it won't have a sliding safety.  As someone who built and used locks with sliding safeties, they are a pain in the butt and not very useful. They serve a purpose that is not really needed but were a marketing ploy to the wealthy. Ask yourself this question, on any of your guns do you feel the need for some additional "safety" at half cock?

dave

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 02:52:12 AM »
Thats a good point Dave and I had not thought of that even though I use my half cock position with a loaded gun all the time while hunting. I will confess that I have never handled a gun with that safety feature so have no on hand experience with them.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 04:41:49 AM »
That is interesting to me that you are modeling that all in Fusion. I always kind of assumed you were using a digitizing probe or 3D scanner to get the base for your 3D models. I mostly use AutoCad and SolidWorks, but Fusion 360 is looking more and more interesting.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »
Thats a good point Dave and I had not thought of that even though I use my half cock position with a loaded gun all the time while hunting. I will confess that I have never handled a gun with that safety feature so have no on hand experience with them.

The Henry barreled Whitworth semi military match rifle I shot for 11 years had a sliding safety..
It worked fine (I suppose) but there was NO real need for it and I turned down requests for them
on new locks.
As for the size of Jim Kibler's new flintlock if used on a 12 bore rifle ,Lynton McKenzie and Steve Alexander
made a copy on Lynton's 16 bore English target rifle and it used a tiny lock as found on a pocket pistol.
The gun was made by Fenton and had double set triggers which are NOT common on English guns of
any type.I have made two of these tiny locks and will not even consider a 3rd one now. I think TRS had
this lock as a kit and may still have if anyone wants to tackle it. It's TRS catalog #599.
Jim and Katherine should be commended for this endeavor and the major upgrade in quality in gun locks.
,Bob Roller

Online snapper

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 05:48:16 PM »
I have 3 locks with sliding safety's.  Never use them.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline rsells

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
Jim,
Thanks for going this route.  This lock design covers about 90 percent of what I use.  Again, good work and thanks.
                                                                                    Roger Sells

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.  Yes, this lock will be used on our mountain rifle kits.  Should be a great fit.

I don't mean to run my yack too much, but it's true that these locks we're making will be a giant step up from what is currently available.  They are every bit as good as the best "one off" fully custom, hand made lock I am capable of making.  Regardless of time spent.  We can't wait for them to start getting into peoples hands. 

I'd like to mention one other point.  I've focused on the precision / quality difference between these locks and what is currently available.  This also applies to design as well.  Both in terms of function and historical correctness.  There are some good designs, but by in large what is available not too great.  The more you dive into things and study locks in detail you really start to appreciate the differences between original work and much of what is available today.  Before I spent a great deal of time studying, I didn't fully appreciate the differences.  I'm not trying to bad mouth people or their products, but rather just sharing my view of things.  Take it for what you think it's worth.

Thanks again,
Jim
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:04:48 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline emmagee

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »
I have/had numerous flintlocks over the last fifty years. All of them, all, have issues. They all work, but they're not right. None of them.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 11:09:25 PM »
That is interesting to me that you are modeling that all in Fusion. I always kind of assumed you were using a digitizing probe or 3D scanner to get the base for your 3D models. I mostly use AutoCad and SolidWorks, but Fusion 360 is looking more and more interesting.

Yeah, Fusion is pretty powerful.  Shapes like I've created aren't necessarily easy to model, but it can be done.  I've spent a LOT of time figuring thngs out, though.  Fusion is great in that it's affordable as well.  I think it's the wave of the future.  All my CAM work is done in fusion as well.

Jim

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 12:20:29 AM »
   Jim you certainly have every ones interest... May we get a hint of the price for one..?    Oldtravler

Offline Mick C

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 07:34:07 PM »
Jim, love your videos and always look for new ones. 

As far as the roller bearing lock, might I suggest a version with a double throated cock.  There are so few available these days (I know L&R has some) and many early 19th century guns seemed to have them.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!