Author Topic: Water proof vs non water proof lock  (Read 1611 times)

Offline snapper

Water proof vs non water proof lock
« on: October 12, 2019, 01:55:31 AM »
Can someone show me the difference between water proof and non water proof locks?

Thanks

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

WESTbury

Re: Water proof vs non water proof lock
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 02:05:04 AM »
Is this a test?

See attached photos.

Is this what you are looking for?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 02:06:24 AM »
lol - you beat me to it, WESTbury.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 02:12:43 AM »
No, no test.   Just a mostly percussion guy that is asking the question.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

WESTbury

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 02:16:42 AM »
Glad to help out. Although I must confess that I used crib notes. ;)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 02:57:51 AM »
Then there’s the “semi-waterproof pan” lock. Like the Durs Egg from L&R. There’s a gutter around the pan.
Andover, Vermont

WESTbury

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 04:07:40 AM »
SNAPPER--I like percussion guns myself but gravitate to flints. I guess seeing Davy Crockett at the age of seven in 1955 did it.

Many years ago, the noted collector and dealer Neil Gutterman, told me that he actually preferred percussion altered rifles and muskets because, you knew what you were laying your money out for was honest.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »
Then there’s the “semi-waterproof pan” lock. Like the Durs Egg from L&R. There’s a gutter around the pan.
[/quote

NONE of them were truly water proof but were resistant to water (rain) and some more than
others. In the 2nd volume of a book called "The American Gun" there is a fine article by Robert
Held called "Fuses,Flints and Pyrites" and it speaks of the advancing menace of the percussion
system and the fabulous flintlocks made by determined obstructionists to forestall it's arrival.
It was said that a more certain way to make a gun go off was a guaranteed way to raise casualties
in times of war and could lead to the decimation of game and fowl everywhere.It spoke of tiny
sure fire corrosion proof priming pans and the abrupt ignition they offered with the chambered breech
that came very close to putting the priming charge into the main charge.WE owe those obstructionists
a debt of gratitude for the marvelous relics they left behind.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
Don't be fooled, neither of those locks above are waterproof or even water resistant. It was for the most part a sales gimmick. If you use any flintlock in the rain chances are it isn't going to fire unless you cover your lock to protect it. The best waterproof lock is the one that you don't hunt in the rain with.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

WESTbury

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 04:50:05 PM »
Don't be fooled, neither of those locks above are waterproof or even water resistant.

Yea, what he said.

When I was lucky enough to be on an all expense paid U.S. Government trip to beautiful S.E. Asia, I was given a Navy Oil Skin jacket to wear on the perimeter one night during monsoon season. Five minutes later I was soaking wet.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 06:14:52 PM »
Don't be fooled, neither of those locks above are waterproof or even water resistant.

Yea, what he said.

When I was lucky enough to be on an all expense paid U.S. Government trip to beautiful S.E. Asia, I was given a Navy Oil Skin jacket to wear on the perimeter one night during monsoon season. Five minutes later I was soaking wet.
Yes, but the real question is did your priming get wet?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

WESTbury

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 06:55:57 PM »
Everything I had on me, down my skivvies, was WET. Perhaps the Navy jacket would not function correctly for Army personnel.  ;D