Author Topic: Locating lock bolts?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Bigmon

Locating lock bolts?
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:08:48 AM »
Building a fowler and have the barrel pinned in place, RR drilled and the lock inlet.  So far all seems good.  Now need to locate, drill and tap bolts, while using a side plate that already has the holes located.
Wondering if there is a tutorial on this subject available?  Don't want to mess it up now.  I been looking but have not found anything?
Thanks

Offline A.Merrill

Re: Locating lock bolts?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 05:38:55 AM »
   Drill half way through from one side then turn stock over and drill half way through from the other. I don't like a side plate that tells me i must drill here. On a side plate if the hole is already drilled for a bolt to pass by the breech thats Ok and the front part left square thats what you want and you can find this type most anywhere.  I make my own.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
Making sideplates is  one of the  "fun" jobs of making LRs....besides, the sideplates w/ the holes in  sometimes have the front lock bolt invading the RR hole if one wants the sideplate attitude to look pleasing  in the sideplate mortice.

Here's a short version of making and installing a sideplate for a LR. Locate and use a tap  drill for the holes for both bolts in the lockplate . install the lockplate and use the tap drill to "spot" the holes in the stock. Remove the lockplate.  Drill the bolt  clearance holes through the stock....make sure the tap  body isn't tight in the holes. Clamp the lockplate in its  inlet , insert the tap from the sideplate side and tap the holes.

Clamp a large enough piece of 1/8" brass on the sideplate side and use the shank of the clearance drill w/ a center punch ground on the end and   hit w/ a mallet so the "dimples" are deep enough.

Use a compass to scribe a diameter around both center punches that are  large enough for the bolt heads plus some for the border around the bolt head. I then draw in the rear  sideplate outline ensuring that the end of the sideplate end  is centered w/ the point of the  sideplate molding.

Then draw in the front outline....  the bottom of the sideplate   outline  should be  parallel w/ the bottom of the sideplate  outline which can be slightly changed. Hacksaw most of the brass off and then rasp and then finish file.  File  the bevel that's slightly more than 1/16" and file draft on the edge that's in the wood.

The clearance holes in the sideplate  can now be drilled  and I usually tap both holes for pulling the sideplate out w/ the lockbolts  when inletting. .... oversized tap and lockbolts  are used. Shown below are 2 sideplates that I made  ....one a BC and one a Lancaster and both look like they belong . .....Fred

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:16:36 PM by flehto »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:21:54 PM »
Thanks fellas, and I do usually make my own side plates.  But this fowler I am using a Chambers English lock and a fancy side plate that I also bout from Jim that fits this lock.
Also, I believe I have the RR hole / barrel / lock inlet all just about perfect, allowing me the correct space for the front bolt.
I have done these before and they have worked out, but it just always seemed to me there must be a simpler easier way.??
Was looking for others methods using a "store bought" plate.
Thanks to all