Author Topic: round barrel lugs  (Read 1364 times)

Offline bob hertrich

round barrel lugs
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »
Probably been asked before but any advise for making mounting lugs for round barrels.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: round barrel lugs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
Pinched, and soldered, sheet metal, soldered to the barrel. That’s the way I do it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »
Some places even sell them already made, just solder them on.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »
My soldered on lugs popped off after a year.
Psalms 144

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:19:26 PM »
Remember...solder does not fill gaps....the lug must be formed to the section of the barrel...all surfaces to be joined be abraded, fluxed, and heated to the CORRECT temp where the solder will flow. The best method I have found is to tin the lug, wire it in place against the barrel, and heat the barrel until the solder on the lug flows....Don't put the flame on the lug.
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
Heat the barrel not the lug.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Excellent info. I have an octagon to round barrel to work on eventually and I'm going to jot this info down in my notes. Thanks guys.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
When heating the barre for the soldering job I have had good luck heating a brass rod then putting in in the barrel right under the lug and then heat the outside of the barrel too, this done after you have the lug tinned and clamped or wired to the barrel.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 02:14:56 AM »
I have cut out a t shaped steel lug and then grooved the bottom with a chainsaw file.
Open the groove with a larger round file. I then put apiece of sandpaper on the barrel
And rub the bottom of  the lug on the sand paper unit the groove matches the radius of the barrel.
I then soldered with silver plumbing/bearing solder.  Lot of file work.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 04:01:31 AM »
Good advise here.
Heat barrel not lug, and all.
Only thing I do different, is tin both parts, then fix barrel horizontal in vise lug uppermost, then put a wire with a weight on it, fairly heavy, over  the lug to pull it down into position as the solder runs.  You can watch it being sucked down by the weight.
Play the heat on  the under side of the barrel under where lug is sitting.

Offline BJH

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
Clean is the word. The barrel and the lug must have freshly filed and fingerprint oil free surfaces. Most soldered joint failure is due to improper prep. At least for me anyway. Plus tight fits. BJH
BJH

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »
Why not dovetail them in?  I have found that most modern barrels have enough wall thickness that you can cut a .030" deep dovetail, install the lug, hit it with a dab of solder and then file the lug base to match the barrel diameter.  I cannot remember the last time I soldered on a barrel lug.
David

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 12:26:32 AM »
If you do solder them, remember that solder will not fill voids. wrap a piece of sandpaper around the barrel and use that to mate the lug to the barrel.  Don't try to make the barrel match the lug!
As Pukka says, tin both parts.  A welding chalk rubbed around the area, or pencil lead rubbed around, will keep the solder from going where you don't want it to.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
OK, Thank you very much for the info.