Author Topic: Profiling a pistol barrel on my wee lathe.  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Profiling a pistol barrel on my wee lathe.
« on: October 12, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
Started playing around with my little Craftsman 109 metal lathe, and starting an octagon to round barrel. It will fit up to 9 1/4" barrel. Works pretty well, considering I have under $300 invested in the lathe and tools. I can see lots of fun projects in the future.

Offline 44-henry

Re: Profiling a pistol barrel on my wee lathe.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »
Cute lathe. Have to remember the spindle on those things is only 1/2" so cuts need to be very light. I also would suggest switching to high speed steel cutters that you grind yourself, you will get much better results than with the carbide shown in a small lathe like that. There is an excellent website linked below you might find interesting that has some great info on using and improving a 109. Also some other great projects.

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/109/109a.html

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 05:42:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice and good link. I wish I had a manual for mine. It's kind of guess and go for me.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice and good link. I wish I had a manual for mine. It's kind of guess and go for me.
Try doing a google search for "your lathe Manual" and you most likely will find one, evenvthe old ones pop up fairly often.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
I can send you a pdf of the manual if you are looking for one, just PM me where you would like it sent. You might also go to www.hobby-machinist.com

Their forum has lots of posts on the 109 lathe and many others you would probably find interesting. I had one much like yours years ago that I eventually sold. To be honest they have some issues, but they can do good work within their limitations.