Author Topic: Southern rifles Virginia  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Carper

Southern rifles Virginia
« on: October 12, 2019, 09:56:27 PM »
Three Carper rifles . The top two are Joseph Carper of Botetourt Co and Raleigh Co. WV just prior to Civil War. The bottom is is son Samuel  Carper about 1880. The wood is just outstanding . Note the triggerguard  and trigger on the top two. The home cast guard holds the trigger plate in place no screws. The barrel has two wood screws through the tang no bolt through to the lock plate ..32 to 41 caliber

WESTbury

Re: Southern rifles Virginia
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 12:09:56 AM »
Nice rifles. Thanks for sharing.

I've always been amazed how far into the cartridge rifle era the use of percussion ignition extended.

Do you have any more photos?

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 12:42:02 AM »
Interesting.  In 1863 50 counties of VA were spun off and became WV.  It's always been odd to read how people treat makers that were in "Virginia" before and after 1863.  The three Whiskers books I have along with several old articles from old publications which are not identified give no info on Carper.  I have seen guards like those I think but none were on guns identified as "Virginia" works yet they do have something of a "flair" similar to those on works by John Sites and more recently, John Painter.  Would enjoy more on the Carper family of Virginia gunmakers.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
Interesting.  In 1863 50 counties of VA were spun off and became WV.  It's always been odd to read how people treat makers that were in "Virginia" before and after 1863.  The three Whiskers books I have along with several old articles from old publications which are not identified give no info on Carper.  I have seen guards like those I think but none were on guns identified as "Virginia" works yet they do have something of a "flair" similar to those on works by John Sites and more recently, John Painter.  Would enjoy more on the Carper family of Virginia gunmakers.

We have 55 counties but would be better off with only 50 ;D. My maternal
grandfather was born in December of 1873 and told me of buying 10 cents worth
of powder to use in killing squirrels with a small bore muzzle loader. He said he
used the muzzle loader when he was about 17 and that took the date to 1890
when he got a .22 of some kind.
According to Walter Cline,the muzzle loader never did completely fade away
and he spoke of people that used nothing but and one in particular,L.G.(Daddy)
Moore who said a flintlock was all he ever needed to take down a bear. This
was in Tennessee but that makes no difference.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller