Author Topic: Kuntz???  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Kuntz???
« on: October 13, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
            This is a copy of a rifle once owned by a friend; it has been attributed to Kuntz.  It was a slim sleek somewhat funky Lehigh Valley gun, and I liked it.  The original was a smooth rifle, but I chose a 42" Colerain O/r barrel w/ a 1" breech in 50 cal. rifled for my build.  The piece of wood is from a local sawmill and had some very nice grain.  The hardest thing of the build was the checkering of the wrist, as the checkering goes over the top of the wrist.  Keeping the lines straight from one side to the other was a bear.  The original had somewhat larger diamonds with a  hole in the top of each diamond.  I am already close enough to crazy that I didn't need the extra stress.  Hope you enjoy the gun; it is my 369th.

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Kuntz???
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »
3 more and you're past me. I'm really slow these days. What do you have , a factory?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »
You do really good work.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »
 WOW!

Tim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:21:44 PM »
The carving, and checkering are exquisite. The engraved furniture is top rate as well. The skinhead angel is a little unnerving, but nicely done. You have taken the finish development to a level rarely seen until quite recently, its very nice.

Hungry Horse

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
Jacob Kuntz was one of the best IMHO. I really like your version.

WESTbury

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »
That is a really nice rifle. Thanks for sharing it.

I see in you post that you've built 369 guns. Do you take time out to breath or do you farm that out? :D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »
Especially nice, Lucky.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mick C

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
Wow, so bright I need sunglasses to look at it  :)
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 07:54:06 PM »
RA, you did a real nice build - what's not to like?
Having checkered a lot of the other type of rifles, I do know what you mean about the wrist! And the checkering in the middle of your nice carving work is very well done.
As with HH, the flying inset caught my attention as well.  I was choosing between and angel and an owl - the owl won!!
If I ever commission a rifle to be built, it would be hard to choose between Brooks and you.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 08:01:42 PM »
Tremendous work!!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »
RA, you did a real nice build - what's not to like?
Having checkered a lot of the other type of rifles, I do know what you mean about the wrist! And the checkering in the middle of your nice carving work is very well done.
As with HH, the flying inset caught my attention as well.  I was choosing between and angel and an owl - the owl won!!
If I ever commission a rifle to be built, it would be hard to choose between Brooks and you.
His wait list is shorter. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kevin

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 11:36:36 PM »
Beautiful rifle.  I've admired your work at the Lewisburg show the past couple of years.

Thanks for posting,
Kevin

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 03:24:00 AM »
Nice looking rifle. I like the carving on it, very Kunzish.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
As usual, AWSOME work!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline flehto

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
Anything I might say wouldn't do justice to your 369th build...but ' I'll say it anyways.....an exquisite LR.....Fred

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »
Well Done!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
I love it too! I would love to see the original rifle as well.
Tom C.

Offline gusd

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »
Very Nice! Love everything about it.
Gus

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 04:44:39 AM »
Beautiful work!  The angel inlay reminds me of Kilroy.   :)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »
        Thanks for all the comments and insights on the Kuntz build.  I personally was not a big fan of the angel/owl inlay, but it was one of those things that drew my attention to the original.   I posted photos of the original in the antique section for those who asked)  Although I may be closing in on Mike for the number of overall builds at 76 I am likely closer to my expiration date than Mike is.   I likewise have a pretty good wait list, and it is getting harder to spend long periods of time in the shop (wife has Parkinson's)  She frequently says that I go into withdrawal when I do not get some build time in each day.  I love building and presently have four guys I mentor, so perhaps a little of what I have learned will continue on, and the tools and materials will be put to their intended use.   

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 09:25:08 PM »
Ron, I know what you mean by withdrawal symptoms.  For me, keeping my hands AND mind busy keeps the PTSD gremlins away - and the past 6 weeks almost did me in!

I picked up an old Lancaster kit over the weekend, so the gremlins are at least a standstill right now.

Mike, it is still a toss-up!  You are great on all the points that count, except Ron uses ANGELS!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
I like your interpretation of a Kuntz rifle Ron.  It is covered with Kuntz flavour...all nicely executed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 01:00:48 AM »
Superb carving! There’s a pair or three of Jake Kuntz rifles in the MMA in NYC.  While the rest of the flintlock display seems to be redone every year or two, those Kunitz rifles, are never taken off display.  A tribute to the maker indeed when his work survives the opinions and bias of different curators.