Author Topic: Proper sling for a 1760s Jaeger Rifle.  (Read 3948 times)

eddillon

Proper sling for a 1760s Jaeger Rifle.
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:04:04 AM »
Any photos out there that might show what a Jaeger Rifle sling should look like?  Just finished a Jaeger and would like to have sling for it.  Has a swivel on the front and a large headed screw on the butt.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:16:57 AM by aka california eddillon »

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Proper sling for a 1760s Jaeger Rifle.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 02:47:58 AM »
Pretty much all German guns have sling swivels... yet I almost never see an old sling!

The only one I can think of that I have photos of, is an early 18th century VERY short rifle with a wheel lock-styled flintlock.  The sling is a simple leather strap and it is buckled with what I think is a reused fancy belt buckle (what I believe was the metal tip on the end of the belt strap was also inlet into the stock!).

I think you're good with a simple leather strap and buckle.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 02:55:08 AM »
I just found another.  If they were my photos, I'd post them.  But it's just a pretty simple two-piece  leather strap, with the rear piece buttoned on the butt, with no attached hardware.  The forward end is like a belt end with holes.  The upper piece is apparently sewn onto the forward swivel and has a plain buckle and leather keeper.

Nothin' fancy.

Personally, I do NOT like the buckle towards the front, as this is the part that hangs on my shoulder, or wraps around my arm when I'm shooting.  If I have a sling buckle (I prefer actually to lace the sling together), I want it towards the rear.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:01:15 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline helwood

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:56:01 AM »
Greetings
This is a classic Jaeger sling that I found for the Freund Jaeger I  made.  It was hand woven from an original pattern.  I picked it up last June at class in Bowling Green  from Ron Scott.  He has all the details on the nice lady that made it.  If you contact Ron he can let you know, I'm sure.     Later, Hank Elwood

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 05:31:43 AM »
Contact Kerry Masarik-Byers at Horn & Fiber.  She made a sling for my bench copy of the RCA 19 "Sister" rifle based on an original attached to a 1750s Jaeger rifle.  In the end she made mine adjustable to allow for several different modes of slinging the rifle so mine is more "inspired" by the original than it is a copy.  Either way, everything she did was hand-woven, brain-tanned hide, etc.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:11:13 AM »
Hanks is a good example to go off, A-C.

Linen was often used for slings, sometimes embroidered at the end/s.
Here's one I made to go with homemade rifle;

The other end is sewed into a loop that fits over the sling swivel.

Offline Monty59

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »
Hello, I only saw an original sling in museums on a german jeager rifle once only , and this one was made of  leather with a tooling on it. Here pics from it sorry I have no better pics.

Monty

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
I have a German 1/2 stock fowling gun from that era with what I believe to be the original sling. It is a simple black piece of leather. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »
If anyone has Harold L Peterson's  "The Great Guns", there is a photo of a Jaeger by Paul Poser, (Bohemian maker )  It has a wide linen sling.

(Page 86)

Also, check Bolk firearms, they may have some with original slings.

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »
If you look though the photos of the Hermann Historica auction catalogs, you will see some original leather slings on 18th century flintlock "Jaeger rifles".  By and large they do not have any metal hardware on them at all - I suppose to avoid marring the stocks on the better finished examples.  The upper end is usually equipped with a leather button, made by rolling up a tapered piece of leather, with the tail end pierced through itself and run through holes on the upper end of the sling.  There are several slits for adjustment.  The lower end is commonly attached to the lower swivel with an elaborate lacing of a leather lace, sometime ten or so slots punched in a decorative pattern.  Of course with the button you only need a slot.  I'll see if I can attach a few images I've saved

image hosting

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »
Lastly, here is a helpful article about how to make such a sling.  https://svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=26

Offline helwood

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 03:23:43 AM »
Greetings,
I found my notes on my sling.   And 120RIR and I both have slings made by Kerry at Horn & Fiber.---  www.hornandfiber.com ---  Very nice sling.
      Later, Hank

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »
There's not a lot of documentation readily available on this, but what you have with this crew is pretty thorough.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 05:59:29 AM »
Beautiful sling, Kid! 

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson