Author Topic: Sharpening stone  (Read 3691 times)

Offline A.Merrill

Sharpening stone
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:27:12 AM »
I'm thinking about buying some more sharpening stones. Do you guy's  like stones or the diamond plate things ? And what grit do you use ? This is for wood chisels and what for metal gravers ?    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Sharpening stone
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 02:53:52 PM »
I use the diamond stuff, don't know what grit.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »
I have an old stone that I've used for years that is about 2 inches by 6 inches with coarse on one side and fine on the other. Got this stone from my Father-in-law years ago and this is my "go to" sharpening stone. I have a set of Washita and Arkansas stones that are very fine but also very slow when putting an edge on a knife or chisel. I also have a diamond sharpener that I really don't use, just don't like it for no particular reason.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
Check out Lindsey engraveing diamond plates

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 04:17:01 PM »
I've  got several Arkansas stones and several diamond stones. Can't remember the last time I got out the Arkansas stones. The diamond  ones cut so well and do such a fine job.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 05:37:49 PM »
      After grinding the edge to my preferred angle, I use nothing but W/D sandpaper from 220 -500 grit to sharpen my chisels.  I keep the small squares of sandpaper on a piece of plexiglass (smooth and flat).  I the strop them on a piece of leather charged with buffing compound.   I have a drawer full of various and sundry stones that do not get used....  Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 09:19:03 PM »
Not having a grinder, I use 300 and 600 grit diamond plates for shaping the correct angles.  Then switch to a 1200, then 2000 grit for polishing.  Lastly, I either use fine film in low micron sizes, then hone on a leather strop with some Simichrome on it.  The edges really cut well, and only require buffing/honing on the strop when starting a new job.  I use the 2" x 6" diamond plates.
I glued the diamond plates to various pieces of wood to get the 1/2" height for sharpening gravers.  That height is required for the Lindsey graver sharpening system.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »
Ideally I would like to have all diamond plates but until then
I have been using wet and dry paper.
First I bought a piece of granite floor tile at Home Depot.
Then with double sided thin tape, stuck a piece of 400, 800, 1200 and I think 3000 paper to the tile.

I use windex for lubricant.  Because of the paper, I have to be careful about direction the cutting edge is moving during sharpening.

Then on a piece of leather attached to a board I strop using turtle wax chrome polish.

I have had very good results.  This I got from a Paul Sellers Utube Video on sharpening chisels.

I bought a small blue AMT diamond hone which I use to shape and flatten the cutting edge.

DHS

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 07:07:01 AM »
I use the 3M lapping film sheets that have grits measured in microns.  Have sheets from 40 micron to .3 micron which cover reshaping an edge to stropping.  Never going back to stones.  The sheets are crazy fast and produce a crazy sharp edge.  Use with water on a surface plate for which I use a 12" X 12" marble tile.  Available on Amazon.  The abrasive on the .3 micron sheet is 0.00001181 of an inch which produces a mirror finish. 

Offline Bustedknuckles

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 07:34:36 AM »
I've been using ez-lap brand diamond plates for years, top quality for decent prices. The 2"x6" plate is the most useful size to me.
Any diamond plates you get, I recommend mounting on a block of wood, makes them easier to use.
Haven't used a stone in years.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »
Quarter sheets of 3M films on a granite block similar to DHS comments above.  Inexpensive compared to diamond plates and better stones and having tried about all the options the 3M films produce the best results for me.  And the edges on my hunting knives are truly scary.   Hope to be using one on elk this weekend.  (Taking teen granddaughter on her second elk hunt; she got one last hunt two years ago.) 

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
I take about half the number of strokes on the fine and very fine diamond stones that I do on my old stones to get the same result. Other than that they’re exactly the same....

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 01:36:06 AM »
I never liked sharpening until I got a set of Arkysaw stones. Something about it is just therapeutic.
Psalms 144

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 08:26:52 AM »
  Thank's guy's. I seen diamond sharpening plates on ebay for $4.00 each.  Maybe worthless I don't know.  I'm going to look into this 3M stuff. Seen an assortment of it for $18.00 not bad.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »
Check out Lindsey engraveing diamond plates

Ditto.

I use a 280 and a 600 for chisels.  I then strop with leather glued to a board.  I put jewelers rouge on the leather. 

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »
When I looked into diamond stones they were from about $30 to $50 and much more depending on grit and size.
I had good luck with WD paper.  Did not have good results with very cheap diamond stone/plate. 
I have not used all my WD paper though I will probably the #M film mentioned.   used to only use oil stones
but never got the chisels or plane irons as sharp as I have with WD paper and windex but that is probably me and not the oil stone.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 12:58:43 AM »
 I threw all my stones away 20 years ago. #1 if you drop them they break. #2 they get grooved and wear.  #3 they are messy. #4 they cost too much. Look up easy lap on Ebay. They make everything you could want. They never  wear out.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline rickw

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »
There are many ways to sharpen, and all of them have been discussed to death on the woodworking forums.
I just use a fine India oilstone. I hollow grind on a grinder, hone on the India stone, and strop on bare leather.
What is it about your current stones or method of sharpening that is a problem?
Rick

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 03:29:47 AM »
I use the diamond stuff, don't know what grit.
Is the diamond stuff expensive.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:28 PM »
I use 'em all, but the diamond plates get most of me regular sharpening done. They're also quite handy for keeping razor sharpening waterstones and natural stones flat.

Coarse DMT for most work, and stone flattening. Fine is great when a smoother edge is desired. The continuous coverage plates are preferred.

On chisels and gouges I'll follow with a 2400 grit paper instead of honing compounds.
Hold to the Wind

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 09:33:49 PM »
will - the dmt and ezy lap diamond bench stones are costly.  the cheap stuff from my experience dos not stand the test of time especially if you like to use water or glass cleaner with them.  seems to me that the bonding process of diamond to metal is lacking.  you can get a smaller good quality "pocket sized" sharpener for your knives for less than $20 if that is where your mind has gone.      https://www.homedepot.com/p/Smith-s-Diamond-Combination-Sharpener-50894/300202323
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:46:50 PM by mark esterly »
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 06:36:32 AM »
   WoW never thought I would have that many replys. Thanks guy's.     Al
Alan K. Merrill

smokepole45cal

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 06:44:30 AM »
I'm with Lucky on the sand paper. I have light grit glued on 1 inch wide wood pieces. Different grits each side (200/400). Finish up leather stropping with buffing compound. Shaves hair every time!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2019, 05:11:22 AM »
What does a guy use to glue the WD paper to a piece of stone floor tile that you can remove when the paper wears out?

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 02:27:24 PM »
just wet the tile and lay it on.  it'll stay put
living in the hope of HIS coming.......