Author Topic: Plain Jane American Fowlers  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Plain Jane American Fowlers
« on: October 17, 2019, 05:35:03 AM »
Most of the American Fowler’s that I have reference material on are pretty plain.  I don’t see any with a patch box or carvings.  I guess a patchbox would be useless. Would it be totally inappropriate to make one with wire, carvings etc?   Patchboxes  are so specific to particular American rifles that it would be nice to hear of a reference of a Fowler with a patch box.  I have found some with a wrist inlay. I know I can do whatever I want but I’d like to stay as correct as I can.  I don’t mind going outside the box but I’d like to have reference somewhere in history.

Online BOB HILL

Re: Plain Jane American Fowlers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 06:26:41 AM »
Mike, have you checked Tom Glinslade’s book on Fowlers ? There’s a section on American Fowlers.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 06:34:53 AM »
Thanks Bob.  That’s exactly what I need.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
Hi,
The entire book is about American-made  fowlers.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 02:21:34 PM »
I note that if one observes the distinction between fowling pieces (gun) and fowlers (people), this thread is full of unintentional hilarity.

I second the recommendation for Grinslade's book. Neumann's Battle Weapons has some examples as well.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
Mike, get the book. You’ll see what I mean. The book is on American fowling pieces. I’m not near my book now, but I think the section I was thinking of is listed as Kentucky style.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 03:47:16 PM »
Fainot used patchboxes on some of his fowlers. In the book. But his style is hard to make.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
Take a look at this auction at: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/151066_the-collection-of-steve-and-marcy-hench/
Lots of antique fowlers plus many American longrifles, muskets, powder horns, knives, etc.  I didn't see any fowlers with patch boxes but I've not seen so many fowlers shown in one collection.  The photos are amazing.
Mike

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:40:03 AM »
Take a look at this auction at: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/151066_the-collection-of-steve-and-marcy-hench/
Lots of antique fowlers plus many American longrifles, muskets, powder horns, knives, etc.  I didn't see any fowlers with patch boxes but I've not seen so many fowlers shown in one collection.  The photos are amazing.
Mike

WOW!

The photos are indeed amazing.  This is totally the opposite of that auction not long ago with all the crappy pics and inaccurate descriptions.  ANYone interested in historic arms and accoutrements should check it out.  Thanks Mike.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V