Author Topic: walnut stain  (Read 2160 times)

Offline yip

walnut stain
« on: October 17, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »
 i got plenty of walnut laying on the ground and can't see wasting them, so i 'm looking for a good recipe for a stain. any help?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: walnut stain
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »
All I’ve ever found walnut hulls good for staining is your hands.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
Boil in water until you get the color you want. when cooled add a little alcohol to keep from developing mold.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Online 45-110

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
I sometimes apply a LMf maple stain that has been diluted. It gives a mild reddish tone.
kw

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
Often times a stain will eliminate that purplish hue that sometimes appears on American black walnut.  I had added a LOT of 95% grain alcohol to mine, it didn't raise the grain as much as the 100% water version did.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 12:11:00 AM »
Terry, I have used Danglers stain in Golden Brown as a first coat and additional coats with his Dark Brown on Walnut with great results. Rubbing the Dark Brown back in high usage wear areas gave a great effect. I will send you a photo of the rifle that I used this process on. Ray 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 01:11:21 AM »
If we are talking about walnut hulls they are good for staining rusty iron. Just roughly mash some and use about 1 part hulls to 6 parts water. I used to stain traps that way. New traps, I’d pre-rust first.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 01:43:51 AM »
I just went and picked up a bunch of walnuts at my neighbor's house the other day.

Some claim to be able to dye cloth with it... I have never been that successful getting anything fast, though I have sure tried.

It is, however, FANTASTIC for leather.  Imparting a warm brown tone, and it actually retans the leather (it is possible to tan leather outright with walnut hulls, though almost no one seems to do it).  I find it greatly improves the temper of some of the cheaper "vegetable tanned leather", though it won't work miracles.  Cheap stretchy leather will remain cheap stretchy leather.

I can't imagine any good use for it in gun work, really.  Aqua Fortis makes a far superior stain, for sure.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »
When I did more modern stocks my go to finish for walnut was Pilkington classic gunstock finishes. If you use as the very detailed instructions state, right down to the cheap hamburger joint napkins, they give a fantastic finish. I mostly used the clear finish with walnut, but I have used the red classic finish a few times, it gives a color very close to a classic Winchester finish. The only downside to the stuff is it has gotten really expensive, last I looked it was over $30.00 a bottle, but a bottle will go a long ways.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 04:40:21 PM »
I do not understand why a fellow comes looking for advice on making stain from walnut hulls gets loads of comments from folks who have not even tried to make stains from walnut hulls, but are offering advice on what store-bought solutions they use. 

Maybe it's an incomplete title and folks don't read the OP?

Hold to the Wind

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 01:46:49 AM »
Wade,thanks for your post.I have made stock dies out of walnut hulls and polk berries.

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 02:39:55 AM »
Almost all dyes from natural materials require a mordant to help set the color into the natural fabric. I watched a demo of dyeing fabric once, plus once worked with a woman who regularly practiced this.

The three most common mordants are salt, vinegar, and alum. Berries get salt, and I forget what the other two are used for.

R.J.Bruce

P.s.,
       I do not know if a mordant would have any effect on wood.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 09:32:48 PM »
Tannic acid is a mordant.

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »
Tannic acid is a mordant.
[/quote

I did not know that! Thanks!!

R.J.Bruce