Author Topic: Hog Hammer finally finsihed!  (Read 8216 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Hog Hammer finally finsihed!
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 03:06:22 AM »
   Mike when I first seen it I thought man that bourbon of Stoners was stronger than I thought. Then I remembered taking my new 1974 sportster. Taking it all apart. Putting it in a riged frame 16 over springer front t end.
Everyone said what the #$%$# yeah do that for.. Cause I wanted something different.. You sure took this one far from 99% of most longrifles...
OUTSTANDING....Congrats...Oldtravler

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 03:32:54 AM »
Dave at least I won't have to worry about getting blood on it.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »
Dang Mike, I had to go back and look that gun over a few times.  I must say, it really grew on me.  That little rendition of that Iowa Porky Pig on the barrel is really cool.  You should have been a cartoonist, but seriously, very well done and unique.  I hear ya about the Dangler stains, I always thin em out at least 50/50 with DA, sometimes more.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 03:34:34 PM »
Count me in the “Like it!” Group. It’s a work of art. I hope the “copiests” leave it be.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 05:27:16 PM »
Mike,
I, like so many others, like the rifle a lot. I'm also glad to see that I am not the only one to forget about HC and build what they like.
Mark

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:56 PM »
Mike,
I, like so many others, like the rifle a lot. I'm also glad to see that I am not the only one to forget about HC and build what they like.
It may be more HC than you think. The Coykendahl gun by Oerter has sections of punch marks that appear to have been painted black.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline redheart

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2019, 04:43:35 AM »
Dang Mike, I had to go back and look that gun over a few times.  I must say, it really grew on me.  That little rendition of that Iowa Porky Pig on the barrel is really cool.  You should have been a cartoonist, but seriously, very well done and unique.  I hear ya about the Dangler stains, I always thin em out at least 50/50 with DA, sometimes more.
I'm with Tommy in that it took a while to grow on me at least a little, ??? :o :-\ ;)
Bless you for having the stones to break outta the box in such a wild and crazy way ! ???

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2019, 05:01:27 AM »
Madder root Is basically a paint.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2019, 02:36:02 PM »
It's supposed to be in Alabamy today, then we'll see what is said by the one that really counts. ;D
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
The Hog Hammer is home. Christmas, Birthday and Fourth of July all rolled into one with this rifles arrival. First thank you to  Mike Brooks  for an exceptional and unique long rifle. I really like it. For those that only have the ability to see Mike's pictures the red is much more subdued and has more brown in it than the pictures show. Holds and fits great and points like a good fowler. It required many years of experience and considerable study and thought to build this rifle. If success is whether the guy in Alabama likes it or not; then Mike hit a home run. I may post some additional pics in a bit. Tim
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:53:01 PM by sqrldog »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
Uh...What they all said.  If it were mine it would be displayed behind glass with all fingerprints wiped off and would never see the woods.  Some guns you use, and some you only look at.  Possibly the most interesting gun I've seen in a long, long time; and very easy on the eye.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2019, 11:45:23 PM »
Uh...What they all said.  If it were mine it would be displayed behind glass with all fingerprints wiped off and would never see the woods.  Some guns you use, and some you only look at.  Possibly the most interesting gun I've seen in a long, long time; and very easy on the eye.
I sent along a pair of white gloves when I shipped it. It has never been touched by human hands .

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
I sent along a pair of white gloves when I shipped it. It has never been touched by human hands .

::)

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
It has now!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
It has now!
Probably has all the finish worn off by now! ;D

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2019, 05:38:27 PM »
Hey Mike, nice job - this must be the gun you were describing to me at the CLA show? It turned out great.

I can relate to the comment on the red paint being a more subdued red / brown than the photos show. I have had the same issue photographing my own painted guns. I usually end up having to photograph them a few times before I get the true colors to show. Regardless, very cool gun, congratulations ! 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
[/quote]

WHAT!  EXPLAIN THAT TO ME!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2019, 12:44:40 AM »
I think it's supposed to be a big deal or something.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2019, 02:03:33 AM »
It has now been handled and shot so no longer a big deal.
 It is sighted in and ready to go hunting.👍🐗

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 02:33:24 AM »
It has now been handled and shot so no longer a big deal.
 It is sighted in and ready to go hunting.👍🐗
I'M MORTIFIED! :o
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:56:36 AM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2019, 02:43:45 AM »
Brooks, you should have known that crazy old coot was going to shoot it.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2019, 02:57:15 AM »
I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

I know that’s right. I might, if I were Uber rich, buy a period piece of high collectibility and not shoot it, or in the unlikely case I were to buy a piece specifically made to be a favorite maker’s masterpiece, I wouldn’t shoot it, but those things don’t interest me enough to own. In the end, to me, it is still a tool. If I want something to buy and just look at I’ll buy a vacuum cleaner.

BTW, she’s a real beaut Mike.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:06:32 PM by Bob McBride »