Author Topic: TOTW browning solution?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline lost arrow 801

TOTW browning solution?
« on: October 23, 2019, 01:53:50 AM »
Has anybody ever used TOTW tried and true brown solition?
Im on my 3rd coat and its not turning brown. It rusts over and I card it off with a 0000 steel wool degreased like the instructions say but it won't turn brown. It's like a dull grey.

Offline Bill Raby

Re: TOTW browning solution?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 03:05:29 AM »
Try giving it more time before carding. I hang the barrel up in the bathroom and run the shower hot until the room gets all steamy. Keep at it. It can take a while. The stuff works great.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 04:55:44 AM »
Without a browning box, solution needs 24 hrs. left alone before re-applying or carding.  With a brown-box, 2 - 3 hrs is all that's needed between applications.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline redheart

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:57:11 AM »
Just want to make sure that you degreased the steel wool and not just the barrel since steel wool comes oiled in the package.

Offline lost arrow 801

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 07:37:28 AM »
I degreased them.
The instructions said to card every 12 hours. But here in Utah there is no humidity. I also carded once after 5 or 6 hours so it has to be it.

Thanks so much everyone

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
Carl Walker, gunsmith of the old GRRW, told me he really likes it.  He showed me a barrel he browned in his cold cellar, and he said it worked very well.  He  has the recipe of GRRW's browning solution, which gave a really good finish, but he said it has some nasty stuff in it and doesn't use it.  He lives in Roosevelt.
Herb

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
Lost arrow,
What procedure did you use to degrease the steel wool? I have heard of several and that is why I am going to use the maroon or grey ScotchBrite on on my next barrel to eliminate one of the potential contamination factors. Good luck and stay with it. Let us know what you find is your eventual key to success!
elkhorne

Offline okieboy

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
 There are various ways to card. I like to card with a soft brass brush like the kind used on suede shoes. Its intensity can be varied by how much pressure you apply.
Okieboy

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 01:18:54 AM »
no humid air, no brown.

Offline FDR

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 03:36:46 AM »
Hang it in the bathroom when you take a shower!

Fred

fjohnson

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 04:37:21 AM »
the first time i used it i had the same results that you had.  i took the barrel back to a brite finish and then degreased very thoroughly.  the second go around produced a very nice brown finish.   so the story to this is a very good degrease and lots of humidity.  i also hang mine from the shower curtain and get lots of steam.