Author Topic: 3/4" barrel in 40 caliber?  (Read 8628 times)

Offline 44-henry

3/4" barrel in 40 caliber?
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
I'm looking for a barrel to build a 3/4" scale Tennessee mountain rifle for my son and am having some problems. I'm looking for the lightest barrel that I can find and I've looked at a 13/16 in 45 caliber, but I would really like to use a 3/4" barrel instead; however, all I seem to be finding them in is 32 and 36 caliber. Does anyone make this size barrel in a 40 caliber and would it be safe if they did? It seems as the wall thickness would be slightly less than a 45 caliber 13/16, but only by a few thousandths.

caliber45

Re: 3/4" barrel in 40 caliber?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:48 PM »
Tip Curtis (tipcurtis@bellsouth.net) usually has a stock of 3/4ths inch barrels. Don't know about .40; might contact him to ask.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
Might want to check with Ed Rayl.

rdillon

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
I have gotten a few 3/4 .40cal. from John Getz.  I sold the last one a month ago.  I'm sure he will make more.  Give him a ring or talk to him at Dixon's.  You may want to call Ron Rhoade(spelling??)  he might have a few.  I don't have his #.  I'm sure someone here might.  He also has a table at Dixon's

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:57:07 PM »
I don't know what length you wanted but if you can go 38 inches I would consider an "A" profile in .40 caliber. They are as light as a feather and the I had shot well.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »
John Getz makes 3/4" barrels in 45 caliber also.  His number is (570) 658-7263.

California Kid

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »
Rice makes a 3/4" .40 straight barrel. Might be quicker delivery time if they have one in stock.

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:07:20 PM »
IMHO, Dennis has the right idea. Chuck Edwards made a 40 cal rifle around a 38" A wt Rice barrel for his son that handled exceptionally well. This gun had a 13" or so LOP and the correct amount of drop to fit his 12 year old son, at the time, but I could shoot it very easily.

IMHO, such a rifle allows room for growth, but will remain a usable rifle for rest of a youngster's life.

God bless

BobT

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:43 PM »
Stonewall Creek stocks 3/4"  Rayl barrels in .40 caliber, I have one sitting in the corner waiting for the right piece of wood to come along!

Bob

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 12:04:03 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. If I keep the 3/4 scale the barrel length will be about 32" long. I bet that 45 caliber 3/4" barrel is pretty light, it seems like it would only allow about .150" for wall thickness which seems a bit thin to me.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »
I'm looking for a barrel to build a 3/4" scale Tennessee mountain rifle for my son and am having some problems. I'm looking for the lightest barrel that I can find and I've looked at a 13/16 in 45 caliber, but I would really like to use a 3/4" barrel instead; however, all I seem to be finding them in is 32 and 36 caliber. Does anyone make this size barrel in a 40 caliber and would it be safe if they did? It seems as the wall thickness would be slightly less than a 45 caliber 13/16, but only by a few thousandths.

I would use a swamped barrel, like an A weight 38" 40 cal then shorten it a inch on each end makes a very light barrel with decent breech wall thickness".
I would also not make to small unless he is under 11-12. If you make it with a 13" pull he will be able to shoot it for years.
My son killed his first deer at 12 with a rifle that has a 7/8 straight 45 caliber 36" long.
Its long enough in the pull that an adult can shoot it OK.
He was not terrribly large at 12 but could shoot it fine off hand.

Just a thought.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:22:38 AM »
He is pretty young and I would like to give it to him for his 5th birthday. I realize that even than this is a rifle he will likely have to shoot from a rest for awhile with help, but that is fine. Also, he has a younger brother on the way who can shoot the rifle later on so I don't mind making a small one for a starter. I've basically taken an original mountain rifle in my collection that has nice lines and reduced the whole thing by 25% and will modify a few things like replacing the set triggers with a single and shortening the triggerguard somewhat. I sent an email to Tip and we'll see what he has available, thanks.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:43:17 AM »
He is pretty young and I would like to give it to him for his 5th birthday. I realize that even than this is a rifle he will likely have to shoot from a rest for awhile with help, but that is fine. Also, he has a younger brother on the way who can shoot the rifle later on so I don't mind making a small one for a starter. I've basically taken an original mountain rifle in my collection that has nice lines and reduced the whole thing by 25% and will modify a few things like replacing the set triggers with a single and shortening the triggerguard somewhat. I sent an email to Tip and we'll see what he has available, thanks.

Now I get it.

If 30" long the barrel will weigh about 4 pounds.
26" will save about 1/2 a pound.
The 40 cal "A" swamp at 38" weighs about 4 full length.
So shortening one would surely beat the straight barrels weight and would be lighter to hold off hand.
Just a thought.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
I have seen more worry about the 13/16 45 barrels than I can believe.  When I started shooting the typical long rifle was a 13/16 45. Either flint or drum and nipple percussion.  I made a 13/16 45 with a 32 inch barrel for my wife in percussion with a drum and nipple that she used for years.  I sold it to another person that used it for a number of years and who loved it.  The flintlocks also worked well and I am considering building one out of nostalgia.  Don Getz mentioned testing a 13/16 50 which held up to some pretty severe tests. A 13/16 45 about the same wall thickness as a 3/4 40 or even more as 1/16" is .0625.  About the only problem with a 45 is that it may be a little severe for a 5 year old.  They grow a lot from that age and it would be tough to make one usable for any length of time.

DP

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
I have seen more worry about the 13/16 45 barrels than I can believe.  When I started shooting the typical long rifle was a 13/16 45. Either flint or drum and nipple percussion.  I made a 13/16 45 with a 32 inch barrel for my wife in percussion with a drum and nipple that she used for years.  I sold it to another person that used it for a number of years and who loved it.  The flintlocks also worked well and I am considering building one out of nostalgia.  Don Getz mentioned testing a 13/16 50 which held up to some pretty severe tests. A 13/16 45 about the same wall thickness as a 3/4 40 or even more as 1/16" is .0625.  About the only problem with a 45 is that it may be a little severe for a 5 year old.  They grow a lot from that age and it would be tough to make one usable for any length of time.

I do believe the concern with the drum and nipple (which I use) in a 13/16 .45 was the assumed lack of enough wall for good number of threads...I used one such for years and still have her.  I know of several .50s in 13/16th but recall that they were flints..... :)
DP

jmforge

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »

Now I get it.

If 30" long the barrel will weigh about 4 pounds.
26" will save about 1/2 a pound.
The 40 cal "A" swamp at 38" weighs about 4 full length.
So shortening one would surely beat the straight barrels weight and would be lighter to hold off hand.
Just a thought.

Dan
But if you shorten a swamped A weight 38" barrel, how do you install the front sight?  At 26", you would be well into the paper thin portion of the tube.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
I talked to Stonewall Creek this afternoon and they have some .40 caliber 3/4" barrels in stock. The rifle I'm copying has a drum and I doubt that there would be enough wall thickness to make that a safe option in this barrel. I suppose I could make a patent breech and install the drum in that.