Author Topic: Squirrel rifle - picture size  (Read 18629 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Squirrel rifle - picture size
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:09:43 AM »
I just finished this little squirrel rifle up for Jim Robeck (halfmeasures) and said he did not mind me posting the pics for everyone. 
She's a .32 cal with a 44", "A"- profile Rice barrel.  If I remember correctly, the Walnut came out of a barn on Jim's property and turned out to have a beautiful pattern in the buttstock.  She's a upper E. TN, utilitarian design from the get go.  The only decoration is the muzzle treatment.
Not as fancy as most that get posted here but I think these mountain rifles have a beauty all their own. 

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Packdog1/EastTN32/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:12:53 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Squirrel rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:12:25 AM »
Acer,
This post is an exact copy of the one posted on the old board.  On the old board my pictures are too large and require me to scroll back and forth to read all the text.  On this board it's perfect.
Ken

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Squirrel rifle - picture size
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »
Ken, that is a real sweet looking rifle. I hope I get to hold that and turn it around and shoulder it. The form is highly sophisticated. I'm very interested in looking at more pics of this rifle.

The picture info for the second says it's 360 Kb, which goes against what it says in my tutorial about posting photos. Jim Filipski ahs been educating me a bit about photo size, which has little to do with the number of Kb's...... go figure? Jim says 640 x 480 is a good size make your photos....maybe as wide as 800 .   I think this is pixel width but I am not sure yet what to call this. I pray that Jim will correct me if I'm generating false information.

hahahha.

Very nice rifle. Halfmeasures, you must be loving it. The wood is just perfect. I am digging the extended tang and the shape of the stock across the lock panels and wrist area. Good for you!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:03:51 PM »
Acer,
 Thanks for the kind words.  The photobucket link has more pics.

I'm confused as to why the size would display differently on different computers.  I'm on the laptop at work and the pictures on the old board show up as screen size.  I don't have to scroll back and forth to view the text. 
On this board I have been able to view everything on both laptops?
Ken

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »
OK Acer this is interesting  The new site must be resizing the images (as I hoped) the good part about it ( I mentioned this to you in today's morning letter) is that they exist as 1024 pixel wide images in photobucket but when they appear here they are reduced to 640 pix wide However the great thing is if you grab them off this site they retain the full size as on photobucket!

Not to confuse: but Let us say they are sized nice an tidy here above but if you gab the image (Mac feature) and drag to your desktop the size will be larger because it really comes off the photobucket site!

This will be cool
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
Earlier in COdy's post, the pictures were WIIIIDDDDEEE. (very wide) This was before I changed the size limit. So maybe we don't have to say a thing about resizing. The only advantage to resizing would be that your photos would load faster from your computer into PhotoBucket. Do I have that right?

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:21:27 PM »
Earlier in COdy's post, the pictures were WIIIIDDDDEEE. (very wide) This was before I changed the size limit. So maybe we don't have to say a thing about resizing. The only advantage to resizing would be that your photos would load faster from your computer into PhotoBucket. Do I have that right?

I'm Thinking the same thing We probably don't have to say anything about resizing Now.
But yes if they do get carried away in photobucket by posting 1 mb (I'm file size now- not dimension) or larger that could slow the transfer of images to our site.
but it would be a plus to at least have 1500 pixel images on the photobucket site because we can see the best of both worlds so to speak

"A brush of the hand

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:56:24 AM »
Maybe this is a case where shrinkage is not a bad thing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
Ok, Ok, All stupidity aside, which I seem to have trouble with: if you look on the ALR.com, and this same rifle here, on this site the pictures appear much smaller. It's the same photo source, same width, same Kb size.  Why is it smaller here? Is it the 640 Kb I've set?

I'd like to see these a little bigger on this site.

Later, Tom

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »
Ok, Ok, All stupidity aside, which I seem to have trouble with: if you look on the ALR.com, and this same rifle here, on this site the pictures appear much smaller. It's the same photo source, same width, same Kb size.  Why is it smaller here? Is it the 640 Kb I've set?

I'd like to see these a little bigger on this site.

Later, Tom

Yes Tom You are in control of the site! you set the max pixel dimensions for the images as they are to appear here.
so go back and select 700 or even 800 pixels on this site and lets try theem for awhile. Most folks can handle 800 pixels wide without scrolling but those on laptops will have to (too small of screens)

The old ALR.com site apparently didn't have these setting for your control. here we do
Jim
P.S.  keep in mind if you boost the size today we will have to reload the photolinks like yesterday with Cody's viener picture link

"A brush of the hand

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:20 PM »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »
Now we're up to 800.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 07:35:05 AM »
Now you're talking. I think 800 wide is the ticket overall.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
Bill,
I really like that they retain their original size for downloading.  That really helps us guys that are like to keep photos for study.   Especially the photos of originals when they get posted.
Ken

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 04:05:13 PM »
I vote for 800.  Looks great to me.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »

Yes Tom You are in control of the site! you set the max pixel dimensions for the images as they are to appear here.
so go back and select 700 or even 800 pixels on this site and lets try theem for awhile. Most folks can handle 800 pixels wide without scrolling but those on laptops will have to (too small of screens)...

Jim
[/quote]

As I understand it the issue is not physical screen size but how the resolution is set. Most folks with standard shape computer screens should set the screen resolution at 1024X786. You can check and change your settings through the Control Panel>Display>Settings. A photo 800 pixels wide will fit easily on a screen that is 1024 pixels wide.

Folks with wide screens (16X9 aspect ratio like an HD TV) can use a different setting. 

Also remember that a picture resolution higher than 72 DPI is lost when the picture is just viewed on screen. For best quality printing on a home printer 600 DPI works very well without having a huge file.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »
Very nice work Ken. I love those plain mountain rifles.

Centershot

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 07:33:40 PM »
That is one great looking rifle
What lock is that?
Gene

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »
Thanks Gene.  It's a Caywood Rowe.  Looks to be the same as R.E. Davis sells but the Davis lock doesn't have the warranted stamp.
Ken

halfmeasures

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:09 AM »
It's also a lot smaller than the Davis, about the same as an L&R Bailes. One other notable feature is the unusually thick bolster+plate thickness (.375") that works really well with the tiny swamped barrel (13/16" breech). Jim

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 01:48:32 AM »
Jim,
I'm glad you posted that.  I did not realize it was smaller than the Davis lock.  I would have bought a Davis lock expecting it to be the same.  I love the square tail on it. 
Ken
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:50:19 AM by Ken Guy »

caliber45

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 03:38:04 AM »
Hey, Ken -- I admit at the git-go to being a rank amateur. That said, I love the architecture on this rifle, and the figure in the stock is beautiful. One question: Is the wide forearm a peculiarity of the Upper E. Tennessee style rifle? With so many of the early rifles pushing "slender" almost to the edge of reality, this one stands out as wide (sturdy?). No negative aspect intended; just curious. - paulallen

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 07:02:23 AM »
Cal. .45,
I can't say one way or the other, it's not a trait of E. TN rifles. When I had rifle in hand I did not think it was particularly thick either.  Maybe the combination of wide bolster and extremely slender barrel is making it look that way. 

ironwolf

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
  Many Tenn. guns I've looked at were very stout indeed. Quite a few were heavily barreled also.

Kevin

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 04:50:01 AM »
i love the way the nose transitions into the tang and lock panel area very very appealing, i am normally more for the early style architecture rather than the southern mountain guns but this gun gets me jonesing for a nice mountain rifle, i would love to handle it
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared