Author Topic: A few more Dixon's pictures  (Read 11275 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
A few more Dixon's pictures
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
What a great weekend... still recovering here!  Here are a few last photos:

Tom (Acer) giving his engraving seminar

Taylor Sapergia, Bill Shipman, and Tom

L to R, Dave Peelgren (not an ALR member), Eric von Aschwege, Taylor Sapergia, Daryl Sapergia, Roger Fisher, Dave Rase, Bill Shipman (never without a drink in hand), and Tom Curran. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:02:15 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: A few more Dixon's pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »
Eric,
THank you for the photos.   I appreciate the captions too.  I need faces and names.  This was a hard  Dixon year to miss.
Regards,
Pletch 
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Thanks Eric now I can in fact prove to Barbara where I was those 3 days... ;)

The average age of that bunch not too bad if you kick out that ol geezer in the middle....... ::)

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
Boy - talk about the "Rat Pack"!   ;D

I sure wish I could have been there with you guys.  Great picture!
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 02:01:48 AM »
Hey, that's just lemonade.

Offline duca

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 04:06:35 AM »
WOW! i seen some of you guys there. did not know it till i got home and went on line.
                                                                                                                    Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

dickert54cal

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
Eric thanks for showing me your newest! It is always a pleasure to talk with you.  Keep at those books inschool. Brian D. will you be making the event next year? I missed chatting withyou this year.

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
Well, I see that you got my best side in the top photo. I'm sitting to the  the left of  the person in the red cap.  ;D

Hmmm, that's what I get for distributing the handouts at the beginning of the seminar.  ;D

God bless
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:42:33 PM by J.D. »

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »
For some strange reason, my camera trigger finger was lax at Dixon's - I was somewhat overwhelmed by the vareity of 'stuff' to look at along with constantly meeting people both from this site and 'others'.  I merely fell down on the camera stuff, although as some noticed, the camera was at my belt every day I was there and that was every day until the fair breakdown - never a dull moment nor a moment I wasn't meeting the fine people who frequent this site.  Many of the ALR shirts I met were contributors, while some identified themselves as lurkers, gleaning all they could from the various threads throughout this site's excellent prose.  The number of ALR shirts at Dixon's was amazing.

Here are some of the shots I took.

Second gun rack at the Chamber's Booth.  Third gun down, a .32 Ten. rifle is no longer for sale and will be a flint when it arrives. ;D This rifle kept calling me back - although I wanted the William Moore 12 bore percussion pelter in Chuck Dixon's shop, it was this plain little beauty that finally 'caught' me. 

"Harry' dropped by at the pig BQ.

ALR 'boys' out for supper and refreshemnts.  Sorry, I don't have nor can remember the names that attach to the ALR shirts. - happens when I abibe - and when I don't.

Nicholas Hawke's Gun shop- I recognise Frank house only.

Tools on display in the gun shop. I suspect they are original to N. H./ gun shop..

Taylor with his Kuntz. Too bad the judges didn't know about the Kuntz rifle Taylor copied.  Many of it's most notable features are not typical for a Lehigh Gun and it was marked according to this lack of knowledge. We were all rather shocked at their judging - such is life.

Offline Doug Cline

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 01:37:31 AM »
Daryl, congrats on the 32 Tenn. I looked at that rifle and to me it was the nicest rifle on Jim's racks, great looking, sweet rifle, hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Leprechaun

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 02:06:05 AM »

Too bad the judges didn't know about the Kuntz rifle Taylor copied.  Many of it's most notable features are not typical for a Lehigh Gun and it was marked according to this lack of knowledge. We were all rather shocked at their judging -

What exactly did the judges have to say??

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 02:35:55 AM »
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/DTaylorSapergia/DSCN5742.jpg
I've just gone through my photos of Dixon's, and though I have some images of guns, most are of people.  The guns are simply the glue that binds us...it's a super adhesive for a super fellowship!!

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 03:47:13 AM »
@!*%!  I so wish I could have been there.  :(

Alas, time, funds, and the requirement to keep clients satisfied (and thus continue making a living) precluded it this year.  Maybe next year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:48:44 AM by Brian Dancey »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 03:47:34 AM »
UH OH...A. Martin drank so much only one eye works.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 03:56:47 AM »
Oi... Harry Potter, I get it all the time, I don't understand it.  Anyway, that was for a charmer who wanted to show her grandchildren who she'd met.   

Taylor's gun is an outstanding piece of craftsmanship and study.  His gun was spot on for a Kuntz, a pleasure to handle (and I hear it's a tack driver). 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
I want to thank all who were there for their generous hospitality and friendship shown to Taylor and I.  I was like a kid in a candy store for the first time - what a great experience - loved it all.  Eating with the 'crowd' was certainly a highlight & I treasure my time with you all.

Thankyou, Dennis and ALR for bringing us together. What a treat!

Tom - you are a hoot!  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:41:18 PM by Daryl »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
Daryl....I too enjoyed meeting you.   As Steve Martin used to say, "you are one wild and crazy guy".    It got to the point
where I didn't know if I wanted to shake hands with you anymore,   that's a big paw you got there.   Now I can see why
you and Taylor talk about shooting all of these tight patch/ball combinations, and saying they are easy to load.....yeah,
easy for you to say, but what about us "normal" sized people?  Anyway, it was a real enjoyable weekend, and was a
pleasure meeting you, and good to see Taylor again......hope you guys can do the trip again.  Maybe next year you could
wear shorts, buy T-shirts that say "I love my daddy" and come along as Dancey's kids...........Don

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »
You are right, of course Don - one must use 'sufficient' force to load a descent combination.  It was indeed a pleasure to meet you and get to know you and John, if for a brief moment in time.
Here's some more shots taken at Dixon's and at the hog BQ.

Some more tooling at the N.Hawk Shop. Boring, Reaming & rifling rods.

shop interior- a small shop for sure, but one Don said "I could build rifles in that shop". had a most pleasant sit down and chat with Don on the bench outside the shop.  What fabulous 'grounds' for the 'event'. Terrific hosts, all. Horners are terrific people for sure and made us feel most welcome.

Guest of Honor at the BQ

John Getz praying for more beer!  Dave Rase's not so ssssssuuuuurrrre.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »
 Geez,Dave!

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
Ah, he's sober as a Judge!  He's just day dreaming about the guns he's going to build with all the parts he bought at Dixon's this year.   ;)

Course, if his missus gets hold of his credit card receipts he'll lose that dreamy look in a rush .....  :D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »
Was just going through some stuff that came up when I googled my gmail account.  In case any of you blokes haven't been to Dixon's THIS is SOME of
our experiences there.  I see it was 2009 - 10 years ago - WOW. Me thinks we have to make arrangements to do this again, Taylor.
We surely miss those not with us any more, but relish in seeing their smiling faces, and reminisce once again, remembering Don Getz and Roger Fisher.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 01:47:09 AM »
The photobucket pictures at all blurry and can not be opened.

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »
the thread was started in 2009
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »
the thread was started in 2009
Way to throw a wet blanket on a thread.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
The photobucket pictures at all blurry and can not be opened.

Download the pics. They download at full resolution.