Author Topic: Musuems and other places where original Kentucky Rifles are displayed  (Read 28952 times)

Offline woodsrunner

Re: Musuems and other places where original Kentucky Rifles are displayed
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
The Atlanta Historical Museum: Last time I was there the Museum had on display rifles found in the area of North Georgia including ones built by ? Meiel (possibly Meiel Easley...my note taking was poor!), Briggs Garland and Robert Hughs. These were all caplock Southern Rifles from the late 1800's IIRC. The young lady on the Museum staff with whom I talked said the Museum had several more old muzzleloading rifles that could be viewed, studied and photographed with a request for an appointment.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI has an arms collection that includes several longrifles including a nice early Christian Beck. It's not alot but heck this aint PA.

Offline Herb

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »
Last summer I was to three museums, The Museum of the Fur Trade at Chadron, NE, the Davis Gun Museum at Claremore, OK, and Jim Gordon's museum at Glorieta, NM, about 15 miles SE of Sante Fe.  Gordon's is by far the best.  He has hundreds of original longrifles, but I was most interested in the two dozen Hawkens and that many Lemans, so I didn't study the Pennsylvania and Kentucky rifles he has.  There are hundreds of them, and you can photograph them or even handle them.  He has Mariano Modena's Hawken, and Tom Tobin's.  Gordon is not into computers so you won't find anything in a search.  To visit his museum, you have to call and arrange a time to visit.  He is Jim Gordon, 808 Paseo de la Cuma, Sante Fe, NM  8501, phone (505) 982-9667.  He published the 3 book set "Great Gunmakers for the Early West", with color photographs of many of his own guns.  There is no ISBN number, foget Amazon,  you have to order the set from him at $295 shipped.  Here are some of his original Hawkens.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:32:50 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 06:01:54 AM »
I didn't see anyone mention Winterthur outside of Wilmington, DE.   They have a number of great longrilfes in their collection including an outstanding Issac Haines.   It is the best quality original longrifle I have ever seen.   

GrampaJack

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 02:48:03 AM »
Century Village in Burton Ohio has a pretty nice display of antique guns, mostly military, and accessories. They also have several vintage buildings and displays.  I believe they are only open on special weekends so their web site should be checked before making a trip.  Jack

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 02:57:53 AM »
may i also add
 the old stone house museum in butler county pa
 the forest county historical society in tionesta pa

Pro. When is the stone house open. Seems always closed
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline gusd

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »
Herb, Thanks for Jim Gordon's Address, could not find it anywhere!
Gus

Offline Longknife

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
The Ralph Foster museum at School of the Ozarks has a nice gun room. They are located near Branson MO. The Kennett Hawken is on display there and they have many more mostly percussion era guns.  (They also have Jed Clampets' Truck!!!)

http://www.rfostermuseum.com/
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 01:20:28 AM »
Well don't skip Valley Forge National Park. They have a nice display  a few years ago and I got a great chance to go over a 1774 dated and signed Christian Oerter/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:20:46 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »
The Davis Gun Museaum in Claremore, OK has a ton of fine and interesting longrifles, and many other muzzeloaders including a Nock volley gun.   ;D

http://www.thegunmuseum.com/

http://www.thegunmuseum.com/jmdavis2010/firearms/firearmsgallery/index.html
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline diamante

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 02:12:57 PM »
Huntington Museum of Art Herman Dean Gun Collection current web address:

https://www.hmoa.org/art/collections/herman-p-dean-firearms-collection

Offline Howard

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »
Nashville, Tenn. Polk Building has several Tenn. rifles, the Bean pistols, a gunsmith shop. This is their State Museum.  Indiana State Museum has the John Small rifle & pistol & tomahawk.  Over in Lafayette, Indiana at the Battle Grounds Museum there are old muzzleloaders on display.

Offline vanu

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
The Museum of the Revolution (Commonwealth of Virginia facility not NPS) in Yorktown Virginia has a great (and expanding) collection of period arms including several very important Longrifles (RCA #104 & 142). Also, one of the Capture rifles (Thomas Rifle RCA # 121) is there on loan from the Crown.

Bruce

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
The Bennington museum has an original fowler,some military arms and later percussion era arms on display as well as Horns and other things in the Battle of Bennington exhibit.Not exactly longrifles but worth a stop if you are in the area.

https://benningtonmuseum.org/

Offline Goo

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »
The Camden archives in Camden South Carolina houses the Beard collection many nice early pieces flint locks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:59:11 PM by Goo »
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.