Author Topic: Musuems and other places where original Kentucky Rifles are displayed  (Read 28955 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
To assist our viewers with " live" exhibits that they may visit, the museum staff ( Nord and I and the Committee) are requesting that you reply to this request with the names of Musuems or other similar displays where the viewing public can view original Kentucky Rifles. We will then add this thread as a resource in the "Library " section of the ALR

A brief discussion of what is located at the site would also help the reader.

Thanks for helping us build this site to become a major resource to collectors, builders and other students and interested parties.

Hurricane

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: Musuems and other places where original Kentucky Rifles are displayed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:13 AM »
The DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum of Colonial Williamsburg has several longrifles on exhibit. The number varies because some are on loan and they are located in two different areas---one exhibit is a general firearms display tracing the evolution of military and civilian firearms used in Colonial American from the early 18th century to the second quarter of the 19th century. This exhibit is to the left of the main staircase near the cafeteria.
The second area to look for is called the "Master Works Gallery" at that is where you will fine the grand John Sheetz rifle, the early Honaker rifle and a few top of the line European arms. This exhibit is to the left at the head of the stairs.
Access to the Museum is included in admission to the Historic Area (including the Powder Magazine and Gunsmith Shop) or a seperate Museums only ticket may be purchased on site.
Gary

Looks like no one else is responding so I'll add a couple more museums.
The Rockingham Historical Society has a nice small museum with several longrifles at;
382 High St
Dayton, VA 22821
(540) 879-2681

The Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA) in Old Salem NC has about a dozen longrifles on display. I have heard that they are not part of the "regular" hourly decorative arts tour any more so you might want to call in advance to get some time to study them. 336-721-7360.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:31:37 PM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:37:25 AM »
I hope this is appropriate. Campus Martiaus  (sp?) in Marietta Ohio has a display of Ohio rifles. I know, I know, Pennsylvania/Ohio. Remove if not what was expected.
Bruce

Offline fm tim

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:05:18 AM »
Landis Valley Museum, Lancaster, PA has some original Lancaster rifles.

See:  https://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/index.php
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:02:01 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 04:08:34 AM »
I was very impressed with the Bufflo Bill Cody museum in Cody Wy. They had the best collection of Hawken rifles I have ever seen but the Icing on the cake was the JP Beck smooth rifle and the Nicolas Beyer long rifle That I spent most of my time looking at.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »
Dixie Gun Works in Union City, Tn has a display that is astounding. I am suprised someone hasn't put together a book similar to the Kindig book on that collection.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:46:29 AM »
To all of the above, I would add, almost any small, local museum in every state in this country. An example of this, that comes to mind, is The Plainsman Museum in Aurora, NB. They have a number of rifles that played roles in the history of that state. Ditto, the others.
Almost any large city, or county museum, seems to have a few or more, which early settlers used in that area. Historical Society museums are a good place to look, too.
The Lebanon County Historical Society, in Lebanon, PA has examples of Beck and Beyer rifles as well as some other pieces. Of course, the Historical Society of PA, in Harrisburg, has rifles including the finest Issac Haines gun in existence. You just have to have the time and the desire to look.
Regards-Dick

jwh1947

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 05:33:50 AM »
I recommend Rockford Plantation (Hand homestead) in Lancaster, PA.  Henry Kauffman donated much of his collection to this museum.  Other good "Dutchy" stuff, too.  Worth a stop.  Also the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC has an absolutely remarkable Peter Kuntz on display, nearly worth a trip to NYC and the traffic all by itself.  Don't miss it when in town.  JWH

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
Here are a few more -

The Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA) at Old Salem in Winston Salem North Carolina has a nice group, maybe around 10, but all very good examples, of southern rifles on display including a great, carved, iron mounted step wrist gun.

The Museum of Appalachia in Norris TN has a nice display of mountain rifles and gunsmith tools.

The William Whitley House in Crab Orchard, KY has one of the greatest southern guns and horns on display - the Jacob Young rifle for William Whitley, and Whitley's horn and strap.

The Frazier in Louisville has some nice longrifles including the "Washington Beck"

The Log Cabon Shop in Lodi Ohio has a back room with lots of nice, mostly late Ohio,  rifles.

The Kentucky State historical museum, and the Kentucky Military History museum in Frankfort, have some nice rifles on display but a number of them are shown a bit out of context, i.e. late (but still nice) rifles shown as being associated with the early frontier period.

If you can (I couldn't this year...) go to to the CLA show or the Tennessee show at Norris - or stop by Wallace and Gary's booth at Friendship - these are rare chances to see more great original longrifles, really close up, in one place than are displayed at most of the museums combined - and you get the benefit of reallly good information from the experts to boot!  I have learned a lot from spending a few hours hanging around the displays at these shows and it also makes me realize how much I don't know -  every time I go it opens up my eyes to new things I was not aware of and it is really great of the folks who tote these valuable old pieces around, take the time to set up displays, and share them and their knowledge with the rest of us.

Guy

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:02:04 PM »
Guys,
In addition to what is listed above.  The High Point Historical Museum in High Point, N.C. has 14 Longrifles on display, 3 are from outside North Carolina, 2 are Henry Ledford Longrifles from Davidson County and the 11 others are Jamestown Rifles from Guilford County.

In addition, the Greensboro Historical Museum has a great weapons collection.  Upstairs is the John Murphy Confederate Collection.  It is the largest Confederate Manufactured Rifle and Carbine Collection in the world, around 165 pieces, all on display along with some original artwork by Don Troiani.  On the first floor they have two early North Carolina Longrifles in their Revolutionary War Section and 7 Jamestown Rifles on display in their own section.

The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley in Winchester, Va. has some valley Longrifles on display also.

Those that want to learn more about North Carolina Longrifles are always welcomed to contact me.  I have a large collection and usually have a few for sale, currently four of them.
My office number is 336-274-4758 and my home number is 336-854-2244.

Hope that helps.

Michael Briggs     
C. Michael Briggs

hyltoto

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:56:53 PM »
Most definitely the Herman P Dean collection at the Huntington WV museum of art. Hecollected guns and Eskimo carvings, the museum has both!

https://www.hmoa.org/pages/aa-herman.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:02:56 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »
The Montour Co. Historical Society in Danville, PA has several nice rifles including one by J. P. Beck and one by Joe Long.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 06:27:52 PM »
I recommend Rockford Plantation (Hand homestead) in Lancaster, PA.  Henry Kauffman donated much of his collection to this museum.  Other good "Dutchy" stuff, too.  Worth a stop.  Also the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC has an absolutely remarkable Peter Kuntz on display, nearly worth a trip to NYC and the traffic all by itself.  Don't miss it when in town.  JWH

CALL before you attempt to go here.  They will likely not be open...really ticked me off last time I was up there...

The Frazer Historical Arms Museum in Louisville, Ky.  A must-visit museum to be sure.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 12:56:22 AM »
     I agree with Chris on calling Rockford Plantation,  I traveled 5 hours to get there and when I asked where the guns were, the girl asked if I had an appointment.  After some discussion she finally relented and allowed me in for 1 hour, but said that she could not turn all the lights on.   Many of the display cases were not illuminated (burned out bulbs).   The general feeling was that they were much more interested in antiques than the muzzleloaders.   They have some nice guns (silver mounted Beck fowler etc.) but it certainly is not their main emphasis!
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »
Jacobsburg Historical society/Pa longrifle museum has a great display and their special events usually have a display of membership privately owned collections that you may not see elsewhere. Some of the nicest guns Ive had a chance to handle have been displayed at JHS. Its worth checking out what is on display at the spring rifle frolic and the fall fur trade event. Another perc is that you often have the owner of the collection all to yourself if they arent busy and you can pic their brain. The Henery family history is well worth the trip by itself as well as the original Nicklos Hawk gun shop!Check it out!

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 10:38:11 PM »
The National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia

http://www.nationalfirearmsmuseum.org/

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:03:46 PM by Dennis Glazener »

dannybb55

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 12:35:52 AM »
Guys,
In addition to what is listed above.  The High Point Historical Museum in High Point, N.C. has 14 Longrifles on display, 3 are from outside North Carolina, 2 are Henry Ledford Longrifles from Davidson County and the 11 others are Jamestown Rifles from Guilford County.

In addition, the Greensboro Historical Museum has a great weapons collection.  Upstairs is the John Murphy Confederate Collection.  It is the largest Confederate Manufactured Rifle and Carbine Collection in the world, around 165 pieces, all on display along with some original artwork by Don Troiani.  On the first floor they have two early North Carolina Longrifles in their Revolutionary War Section and 7 Jamestown Rifles on display in their own section.

The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley in Winchester, Va. has some valley Longrifles on display also.

Those that want to learn more about North Carolina Longrifles are always welcomed to contact me.  I have a large collection and usually have a few for sale, currently four of them.

Hope that helps.

Michael Briggs     

dannybb55

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 12:54:58 AM »
Guys,

Hope that helps.

Michael Briggs     
I am interested in building a copy of the Deep river school rifle with the Germanic lock and the sliding patchbox, the first one in your article on the Deep River. Is it possible that I could make a stock profile tracing and measure the rifle to copy her? I would like to build an NC rifle in time for the Southeastern Rendez vous next November 2010. Thanks for any help. Danny Nye, Beaufort, NC

projeeper

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 03:22:13 AM »
the carneigie museum in oakland
the hienz museum in the strip district[also an impressive f&i war exhibit]
the blockhouse at point park
all in pittsburgh pa

roamer

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
IN Ohio the musrum in Roscoe Village near Coshoct on has a nice display of Ohio made rifle guns

projeeper

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 12:11:38 AM »
may i also add
 the old stone house museum in butler county pa
 the forest county historical society in tionesta pa

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »
You might enjoy a trip to Chadron NB and The Musuem of the Fur Trade, The Davis musuem in Clairmore OK or The Mineapolis Institute of Art. These are a few plus countless State and Historical sites.     Gary

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 04:14:14 AM »
I was very impressed with the Bufflo Bill Cody museum in Cody Wy. They had the best collection of Hawken rifles I have ever seen but the Icing on the cake was the JP Beck smooth rifle and the Nicolas Beyer long rifle That I spent most of my time looking at.

They have some others that drift in an out of being on display. I think there are two Stophil Smith swivel breech rifles  but these are not in the class with the Beck. Also have a heavy H. Warner slug gun I would love to shoot, they have the tools or so I am told  . There are typical and a very fancy atypical Hawken rifles, 1803 HF, Mantons.....

The Beck (and the Beyer too) really needs to be in a walk around case but first needs a lock replacement. The original is gone and the replacement is a late import lock that is pretty crude.
The mortise indicates the original lock was like the one on pg 71 of Whiskers "Gunsmiths of Lancaster County"

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

mkeen

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
Of course, the Historical Society of PA, in Harrisburg, has rifles including the finest Issac Haines gun in existence.
Regards-Dick

The Historical Society of Pennsylvania is located in Philadelphia. Which museum in Harrisburg?

Martin Keen

BGC

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »
The link stated on page 1 for the Herman Dean collection at the Huntington Museum of Art doesn't work.
Use this link:

https://www.hmoa.org/collections/herman-p-dean-firearms-collection/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:04:20 PM by Dennis Glazener »