Author Topic: Eight Hundred Pixels  (Read 18205 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Eight Hundred Pixels
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »

Same picture address, just 800 pixel setting on the board

I am adding more text to Acer's post to see how it looks with more than a single line of text like he had in the original post. ajfsdfsadjfsjadfjsadfjsadfjasdjfasdjfsdjfsdjfasdlfjasdfjasdfjasdjfa;jsasdjf;asdjf;jasdfjasdfjasdfjasdf;jasd;fjsda;fjsdafjasfjsd
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:34:26 PM by tdennis »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Re: Eight Hundred Pixels
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:11:28 PM »
Works for me Tom,
I think this size is pretty good for most of us. and remember if we take it down to our computers it will be the real file size that is on Cody's Site so it will be bigger once we have it on our computer as a file
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »

I reset the photo size to 700 pixels. How does that look to you. One of the problems I had with the old board was that wide photos caused the text to extend the full width of the photo and make it aggravating to read. Also was hard to see who posted the photo while reading the post. What do you all like best the 800 pixel size that Acer has or the 700 on this one?
Dennis

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:32:45 PM by tdennis »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:09 PM »
Dennis, are you messing me up, or what? It may too late for that.

Oh, I see your words below the picture. Duh.

I don't think either 700 or 800 will be too wide, from what I've seen. I'd vote for the 800 unless it makes the board too slow.

The old ALR.com has no such limit, it looks to me. We have to size our photos down for that. This new forum limits the width automatically.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:38:12 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »
No just testing various things. I don't believe that resetting the parameter for the photo size changes older posts. Look at the difference in the width of Acer's photo made when the parameter was 800 pixels and the same photo that I posted after I reset the parameter to 700. I do believe when you modify the old post it will reduce the size (maybe).
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:39:42 PM by tdennis »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:41:25 PM »
I will go with the majority but I HATE having to scroll the screen to the right to read all the text with a photo. But will yield to the majority.
Dennis

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:11:38 PM »
No, Dennis, the whole point of this fooling around is to get away from the scrolling left to right. Do you have that scrolling effect now?

If we go back to no controls on the  site, and re-post Cody's veiner photo, then you will have to scroll l-r. (you have to copy his photo address and re-paste it to get it to comply with the new limits)

See, Jim, I'm paying attention. Don't know where I'm going, but I'm keeping my eyes on the road.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:01:33 AM »
Let's please get rid of having to scroll back and forth.  Pleaseeee!  I hate that.  Anyone wanting to really study a picture can download it. 
I think whatever size it's on now is pretty good. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:29:55 AM »
On the first post you made with the photo and the test text I put in I have to scroll across to see the end of the lines. On the post I put in with the same photo I do not have to scroll. The text and the photo fit in my screen.
Dennis

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:14 AM »
Same here.  The first one is a little too large for my screen.
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:48:58 AM »
Guys,
Every computer is different when it comes to screen viewing.
Shrinking the window will resize text but not an image so You have to decide on image size. It doesn't really matter for those who have wide screens. At home mine is 1200 pix wide and at my studio it is 1500 pix wide so for me there is no problem. Now those that have smaller screens will hurt if we go above 800 pixels ( and maybe 800 is still too large to appease everyone.) As I noted before if folks post their images bigger on the own site that will be linked to this site I see know reason we have to show it too large & if someone want to see it bigger just save it to their computers which will transfer the original ( most likely bigger image ) so they can look at it at their leisure without causing the scrolling problem.

Just for the record if you have a 15 inch monitor most times it is set to a 800x600 pixel size so even if your webpage is fully extended across the screen you will still have to scroll for a posted 800 pixel wide image. Guys with smaller screens and laptops will have this issue
19 inch screens & larger will be fine ... You can't please everyone. The old rule of thumb on the internet; images should not exceed 640 x480 pixels.... with the advent of larger screens the rule changes to no larger than 800x 600 pixels
& now with the wide flat panels they move up again to 100 x 800 pixels
So as you can see , try as you may, Smaller can be viewed by everyone: But how many have to scroll will tell the real story
Hey we need a new poll! "What size do we want the pictures on the site"!
Jim

"A brush of the hand

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:34:34 AM »
On my screen, the first one is about half the width of my screen. I have a 21" diagonal. The second is about 1/2" narrower. I also have a Mac, but I don't know what that means to the image on the screen.

T

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
On my screen, the first one is about half the width of my screen. I have a 21" diagonal. The second is about 1/2" narrower. I also have a Mac, but I don't know what that means to the image on the screen.

T

Tom Actually on windows machines they use a higher pixel count of 96 pix per inch (vs 72 pix per inch on Mac) which causes windows systems to make images appear bigger or magnified.  So I think that is part of the problem with comparing  everyones preferences.
A window system on a lap top may have to scroll even for the smaller 640 pixel width

You guys are really going to hate me for this one but just as I told you about file size (Kb,Mb) vs. picture size ( pixels) are different so are screen sizes (21" 19") and screen resolution sizes (  ex. 1280x1040 px...etc) which is set in your control panels of the computer you are using.
So you see too many variables to try to be precise. The internet standards for viewing on a website are best set some where between 640 and 800 pixels in width.  Ifeel this is small also because I have a big monitor but large monitors are not the standard computer screens

"A brush of the hand

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »
I know I'm not confused........much. It's actually been very informative.

I don't hate you Jim. It's just one of those those things where one setting can't please everyone. I think we should go for hitting 80 or 90% happy.

Notice my spell check is working again? And it's before 3pm?

T

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »

Shrinking the window will resize text but not an image so You have to decide on image size. It doesn't really matter for those who have wide screens

Right, and that is why I believe the max pixel size for this board is probably best at 700. At 800 pixels text is a little too long for the window.
Dennis

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »
Well, On my BlackBerry I can't see the #$@%$@$@ pictures anyway!!   ::) ::)

Just kidding the 700 format looks best to me.. no scrolling.  In the web based elearning that we produce and sell we limit screen sizes to 640x480 cause our millions of clients have so many different screen sizes and resolutions.. we know that 99% will be able to see this small size.  We ask our authors to use images that are sized at 500 X 760.   Scrolling is a mortal sin!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming