Author Topic: 2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader  (Read 15760 times)

CowboyCS

2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:15 AM »
I'm nearly done with the rifle. All I have left to do is finish the front sight, what this really means is all I have to do is manage to work up a load and file the front sight down so it hits at the given yardage(50 yards) and then a little final bluing and it's finished. If I actually shoulder this thing for more than a few shots I may not be able to type for a long time after so I figured I better post these pictures now. Haha.
The Details: Black Walnut Stock, 16 LPI Semi-flattop Checkering, Smoothbore 1.277" dia, Full top rib with quarter rib and front ramp integral.Full bottom rib, steel ramrod with brass ends. The final weight is 24 pounds. And I made every piece of this rifle from stock, if you would like details of the build you can go to my website: Stolzer & Son's 2 Bore project
Later this week I will be strapping it down to my sight in rig that I built for this gun and getting it close to sighted in, hopefully, and then if I'm feeling really brave or just have a total laps in judgment I might actually shoot it a couple times. Bwahhahahahaha(evil Laugh)

Any questions that you can't find the answers to in the build documentation on my website, feel free to ask.

Colin

Offline 44-henry

Re: 2 Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:04:47 AM »
So when you go to bark a squirrel with that thing do you just shoot at the base of the tree?

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:24:56 AM »
Beautiful looking gun you got there!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:30:05 AM »
Wow! Very interesting, but i think I'll watch you shoot it from a safe distance!

Offline sydney

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 04:47:45 AM »
Very impressive-Please keep us informed with your project
    Sydney

brokenflint

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 04:49:17 AM »
Cowboy, nice work, now lets see the photo of the business end  ;)

44 Henry   Concussion gets em, no need to even damage the tree!!

Broke

CowboyCS

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:52:41 AM »
Thank you all for the comments and compliments. You got to be careful when hunting squirrel with it or they might run up the barrel and put their nuts in there causing a barrel obstruction.

Brokenflint,
If you go to the link of the build on my website, there are lots more photo's even a few balls fo rcomparison and some of the business end. I can drag some over here if you want though.

Thanks

Colin

ghchristian

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:26:48 AM »
cowboyCS, I just finished viewing your website on your 2 bore and I have to admit, that is some very impressive gunsmithing. Was curious to know how much this handsome gun weighs?

J.E.Helm

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »
"hefty", as I'm sure it needs to be!  a plan nicely executed!  i especially like the escutcheons
& ramrod accessories!

thanks for posting the pics!
Jeff

CowboyCS

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:17 PM »
Thank You,

ghchristian, I wanted it to weigh more than it does, I was hoping to get close to 30 pounds, but ran out of places to add more weight and ended up at 24 pounds. There just wasn't anyplace I could add more steel or lead to it. For as big as it is though it is very well balanced, center is about 1 1/2 in front of the action.

J.E. Helm, Funny thing nobody makes any loading or cleaning tools for anything bigger than a .72, so I had to make everything to go with it.

Colin
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:20:49 PM by CowboyCS »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »
Congradulations on mighty fine work!
As a squirrel gun...I don't know.......Ya gotta be kerful bout that ball commin down ....8 ounces a pur lead, the earth's gonna shake, if'n the ball don't hit ya on the top knot first.
Great camera shots, too!
Serious question, why are the larger bores not often rifled?
Most of the ones that I have seen are smooth bored??
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

CowboyCS

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Old Ford2,
From all of the readying I have done on original 4 and 2 bores, which there really isn't very much information on originals because there weren't very many made, there seems to be a couple reasons they were mostly smoothbores. First off primarily they were made for dangerous game hunting in Africa and Asia, mostly Elephant, and the long shot on an elephant is 50 yards, reading the accounts of Baker, Selous, Taylor etc.. the common distance was more like 10 to 35 yards. So accuracy really isn't an issue, a smoothbore will shoot just as well at that distance as a rifled barrel. Second reason is recoil, rifles produce more recoil than smoothbores, and with a gun that already has excessive recoil you really don't need to add more to it when their is no advantage. And the last reason is pure speculation on my part, but most of the originals(25 that I have actually documented) were made by the high end London gun companies, Holland and Holland made Bakers "Baby", my opinion is that the time and effort to retool their equipment for a one-off barrel was probably deemed to be not economical and therefore wasn't done. But that last one is just speculation on my part. In more modern times I have seen several 2 Bores in various configurations that all had rifled barrels, the reason mine is smoothbore is because I don't have the equipment in my shop to rifle anything that big.

Colin
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:09:29 PM by CowboyCS »

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »
OK!   I am still waiting on Leatherbelly's comment on the squirel putting his nuts in the barrel.  :D
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »
Oy! - 2 bore - so, makes my 14 bore a squirrel rifle and that's a big game gun for sure. have fun shooting it - don't think my shoulder would allow me to - not more than once, that's for sure.  Good work- and very impressive.

CowboyCS

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »
Thank you,

It's a bit on the intimidating side isn't it?

Colin

Offline ehoff

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »
Last time I saw a bore that big it had wheels and a carriage! Seriously I its a nice looking gun.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
Whoa - A Bottle Brush to clean it  :o

And the Jag looks dangerous as a weapon itself  ;D

Nice Cannon er....Gun

Shoot It?      Not Me Coach!
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

FG1

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
Colin, you need to have a "So you thing you're tuff " competition and see how many will drop the hammer on that beauty !

CowboyCS

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
I couldn't find any other type of brush that was big enough, I tried spinning my own brush with brass bristles, and that was a disaster, so I settle for a bottle brush, cut the handle off and turned an adapter.

I wish it was that easy, just hold a competition, unfortunately then people would expect a reward for their actions, and as most can attest to we gunsmiths don't make very much money.  ;D

Colin

CowboyCS

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 03:47:41 PM »
I was going to start working on load development today, so I could get the front sight finished, but I woke up to pouring rain, so I'll have to wait till it clears up. The upside is I won't have to worry about setting my pasture/Rifle Range on fire for a couple days.

I spent part of yesterday casting balls for this thing, learned a few things, like it takes a lot of lead to make any quantity of balls, I know that seems kinda obvious until you start pouring from a 20 pound pot and see how fast it disappears. When I cast the proof balls a while back I only cast enough to get the proofing done, so I wasn't really paying attention to how long it was taking to cast. Yesterday though I was trying to get an idea of what kind of production could be done and get a smooth rythme going. What I discovered is you can only cast about 1 ball about every 1.5 - 2 minutes and about every 5th ball you have to set the mould down and let it cool for a good 3-4 minutes. So the average is 1 ball about every 2.5-3 minutes. The mould is so massive and the amount of lead is so great that it would almost be worth it to machine a mould with cooling fins. I also learned that a soup ladle makes a pretty good pour, since you need a pound of lead or so at a time, so you can not only fill the mould but also keep over pouring the sprue for at least 15-20 seconds.

Colin

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »
You missed the most obvious place to add more weight to that THING!  It lacks a pintle to mount it on a log and wheels at the back end of the stock so you can drag it into the woods by the barrel.  ;D

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
I was in Jethro Georgia a few years back.  They had a civil war Brooks Rifle in front of the court house.  I heard it disappeared one night.  Where did you say you got your barrel? 

I hope to see a post in the black powder shooting forum with pictures. 

When we were teenagers, Chuck and I shot a 4 gauge flintlock Miller had in his garage.  It was one of those things that were supposedly made for sale in Africa.  The lock would not spark so we used a piece of fire cracker fuse in the flash hole.  It kicked really bad.  I can't imagine shooting a 2 gauge.

What are you planning to hunt with it?
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

CowboyCS

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »
I don't plan to hunt anything with it, I built it just for advertising purposes, and it will eventually be for sale.

Colin

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 12:33:34 AM »
I shoot my 4 gage blunderbuss with 200 grains of powder and a 1 inch ball bearing (armor piercing ammo).  It hits back pretty @!*% hard.  Having watched the proofing of the 2 gage barrel on video, and remembering my high school physics (m1v1=m2v2), if the ball is moving out at an assumed 900 feet per second, I think any off hand shooter would leave a lot of teeth and eyeballs behind.  I think I would put a hydraulic recoil cylinder on it.

Dave C
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:35:33 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

CowboyCS

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
The rifle case is finally finished and this is now a completed set. All I'm lacking is the handle for the center of the case, I just haven't found what I am looking for yet. There are brass handles on each end of the case though, so it is easy enough to pick up and move around.

The Final details:
2 Bore
24" Smoothbore barrel
Weight 24 pounds
Full Top rib with integrated quarter rib and front ramp.
Full under rib with pipes and sling stud.
Black Walnut Stock with ebony tip.
Oil Finished.
Single leaf English express sights.
Rust Blued, with moderate coverage engraving.
16 LPI Semi-Flattop Checkering.
Both the rifle case and the accoutrements case are walnut, with a similar finish to the rifle.

I hope you enjoyed this build.

Colin