Author Topic: Anyone Familiar With This German Caplock Doublegun?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline woodsrunner

Anyone Familiar With This German Caplock Doublegun?
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:27:28 PM »
A friend just this morning gave me the remnants of a little 20ga caplock doublegun made in Germany, and I can't find more than one passing reference on the web to the maker.

Imprinted on the rib between the barrels, in aparently German Silver, is: G. Hubner Suhl. That's it...nothing more other than every main part is ID'd with the three digit serial number.

Guessing by the quality of the engraving on various parts it's not a "high-end" double by any means, but it does aparently have about a quarter inch castoff. Also has a load in the left barrel! I get bits of lead on my ball puller, but ain't nuthin' down there budging!

Ideas anyone?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Anyone Familiar With This German Caplock Doublegun?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:40:45 PM »
Also has a load in the left barrel! I get bits of lead on my ball puller, but ain't nuthin' down there budging!
Rich,
Can't help with the ID but I would pour WD-40/penetrating oil down the barrel and let it penetrate awhile. I cleared one like that our of an old gun of mine. Got what I could with a cleaning rod and then blew the rest out with an air hose.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline steg49

Re: Anyone Familiar With This German Caplock Doublegun?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »
Don't know about the maker but I had an old one that was loaded for about 140+ years, it was shot and each time I ran the ball puller down I got shot and wad, like confetti and lead together, had about 1 1/2 oz of lead when I was done the powder was soaked in hot soapy water and then reamed out it was hard as a rock.  I think yours may be a round ball, you should be getting more than just lead peices if it were shot.  I've used KRIOL to help on stuck plug before might try that or boiling water poured down the barrel let it stand for a while the see if anything moves.  Good luck.