Author Topic: Muzzleloading air gun  (Read 14919 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Muzzleloading air gun
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:47:23 AM »
I saw this gun being fired at friendship this spring during the Makers' match.  Dennis Priddy from Michigan is the maker.

I believe it used a .395 patched ball with the patch cut at the muzzle.  Very quiet.

Regards,
Pletch

Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Don Getz

Re: Muzzleloading air gun
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:16:24 PM »
Looks like a neat gun.  Dennis is a good gunbuilder, hangs around with Dick Miller too much.    Would be nice to know what the valve/air release system is, or how it works, sure would be a great gun to fool with.    Hard to imagine shooting
a round, patched ball, but never having to clean the darn thing.........Don

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »
Smokeless too!
Dennis is one of the finest, most innovative ML gunbuilders that I know, and he's from Michigan! This was an effort to replicate the air guns carried by Lewis & Clark.
I saw this back in Feb. & March in it's early build stages (blueprint).  He was still trying to figure how to make the air chamber ball then. I think he told me he got it to hold about 1400 psi pressure, good for at least 8 or 10 shots. But don't quote me on that. I wish he had a computer so he could explain it all himself.
I think he has built & sold a couple aleady!
Tom C.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »
That's neat. 

There are a couple of similar air guns on display at Blair Castle in Pitliochry Scotland - look to be 1740-70 era -  styled to look just like little Georgian era fowlers.   I think the English and some of the continental makers were playing around with air guns pretty early.

Guy

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:02:06 PM »
Lewis' airgun/assault rifle:

http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

and later evidence:

http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm

This has been an interesting story to follow.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:48:53 AM »
In the book, "Great British Gunmakers" by Keith Neal there is a german jager air rifle, has the air chamber built into the
buttstock, but is not really noticeable.    Looks just like an ordinary, but fancy Jager rifle.  If I remember correctly, it is a
54 cal. gun, and he tells about making some long shots at game with it.............Don

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:49:16 AM »
I really enjoy reading about these antique air guns/rifles.  Would be neat to build one.

Thanks for the links!
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »
There is an older gentleman who set up a whole table of antique muzzle loading air rifles at the Prairie State Long Rifle show a couple of years ago.  They were all pretty much different from one another, but still air guns.  Some had the ball type air canister and others had the air canister in the butt of the rifle.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »
The pictured gun has a complete lock - frizzen and all.  Does the lock actually do anything to discharge a blast of air?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
If I understood Dennis correctly, the cock and frizzen were just for fun.  The interior lock parts have a function obviously.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »
Larry, did you get in touch with Dennis yet?
Tom C.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:47:42 PM »
No, I haven't  - got a appointment to get my knee looked at.  I'll try tonight.
Larry
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

medbill

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 03:14:39 AM »
Lewis' airgun/assault rifle:

http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

and later evidence:

http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm

This has been an interesting story to follow.

I fired the replica built by Ernie Cown and it was amazing, the amount of work that went into the build as well as the firepower it possesed sure makes me understand why the tribes left the Corps of Discovery alone.  I got pics, the target and the three flat round ball to prove it.  Just an amazing rifle!

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
I'd be interested in the ballistics, of course. ;D 

Today, modern air guns have run up to .50 cal. I know of one .45 that shoots 500gr. lead bullets at over 800fps. 2 shots, one bison bull. Full length penetration.

This has little to do with a round ball gun of the 19th centruy, but - the potential is there for resonably good performance, probably in accordance with a lot of the small charges guys seem to use these days in BP rifles.

The owners or builders of these fascinating rifles MUST have data on them.  Afterall, just about everyone has a chronograph or two these days?

Offline sonny

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »
how do ya get the compressed air in the cannister?.accuracy????.......sonny

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
I agree,  exactly (the mechanics) how the 19th century ones worked would be interesting. I imagine they'd need some wort of sealing valve - rubber or perhaps treated leather?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 05:33:16 AM »
I don't know the particulars.  I haven't talked with Dennis since Friendship.  I can't find contact info for him either.  At Friendship he was not satisfied with the sealing, but I heard third hand, later, that he may have solved it.  If I can contact him,  I'll share information.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 07:06:17 AM »
how do ya get the compressed air in the cannister?.accuracy????.......sonny

The rifle's buttstock served as the air reservoir.  It was charged by detaching the reservoir/stock from the rifle and performing 1500 to 2000 strokes with a rod much like working a bicycle pump.   Go to youtube.com, search for "lewis clark air rifle" and there's a 4 minute video that shows the gun being charged, loaded, and fired. 

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 07:31:48 PM »
THAT was pretty cool.  I don't recall from reading the 2 books of the Condensed version of the Chronicals that their gun was a 22 shot rifle, only that it was around .30 cal. and a women was killed with it, by another Indian.  That was a long time ago, that I read the books, that is.

Reloading 1,500 strokes would take some time.  Seems to me the video mention horn as the seal material that would hold back the 800psi contained in the stock's reservoir?

dannybb55

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 07:51:14 PM »
I seem to remember that the military air rifles had an issue wagon with a wheel powered compressor and spare air tanks. The compressor worked while on the road, maybe they could jack the wheel up too, and hand turn it while under canvas.