Author Topic: Pennsylvania Combo Percussion Gun  (Read 4048 times)

Leighton

Pennsylvania Combo Percussion Gun
« on: September 13, 2009, 02:01:05 AM »
This is a combination rifle-shotgun,  .38 cal rifle and 16 ga shotgun. The top rib is marked Chas. Weir,  Thompson, Pa.Anyone know anything about the area or the Maker?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:52:15 AM by Leighton »

jwh1947

Re: Pennsylvania Combo Percussion Gun
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:30:11 AM »
Dear Sir, I have no Weir in my Pennsylvania database and Frank Sellers, a good but neither absolute nor final general reference, lists none.  I can tell you that Thompson is a little town in the extreme northeast of the state, Susquehanna County, I think, up near the New York border to the east of Interstate 81.  Hope this helps.  Incidentally, very nice and interesting firearm.  JWH
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:31:52 AM by jwh1947 »

Leighton

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:12:37 PM »
It may be of course that Chas Weir was the owners name. This gun was so expertly made that I think it was a well known maker that didnt sign it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:30:42 PM »
I agree with Leighton...the craftsmanship of the arm is not reflected in the crude stamping at the breech...suspect owner's own work there.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
This gun was so expertly made that I think it was a well known maker that didnt sign it.

I don't find the gun to be expertly made, only made to commercial standards.  I have seen quite of few of these, which are almost identical.  In the post Civil War era, there were many commercial supply houses which imported and sold everything required for the gun trade.....including guns.  Small mercantile concerns purchased these products for sale in their own stores and often stamped their own information on the ribs.  It is my opinion that this is one of those guns.

From the 1871 Great Western Gun Works wholesale catalog:
No.114, plain iron barrels, patent breech, side by side, back action locks, oiled walnut stock, 32 to 36 inch barrels, rifle 60 to 100 balls, shot barrels 11 to 16 bore, weight  9 to 10-1/2 pounds.  Price....$30.00

Similar wholesale listings are found in Folsom Bros and Homer Fisher's catalogs.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 12:00:55 AM »
Hi Leighton,
Welcome to ALR.....  Cool gun, thanks for posting it. 

Have you removed the barrels?  Perhaps their are some proof or other markings on the bottom sides.  I'm no expert, but I would expect them if the piece is imported, yes?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Leighton

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 02:30:02 AM »
No proofs or other marks under the bbls.. Great Western is a good suspect although the workmanship is better than other Great Western guns that I have seen.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:48:28 AM »
Just an aside; an old time collector here in Southern California famously said of these pieces that "These double guns were the guns that made the West safe for the Colt and the Winchester". Can't disagree with him!
Nice piece, thank you for bringing it our attention.
Dick

lew wetzel

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
the letters arent even lined up straight...who ever stamped this gun probably didnt build it...it is a very interesting gun and thanks for posting the pics and sharing..

Offline nord

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 11:47:42 PM »
Just a comparison for the record. Jacob Harder... Owego, NY / Waverly, NY / Athens, PA / Lock Haven, PA

One rifle made in Waverly. The other in Athens. Same time period as your combo rifle, but the difference in detail and overall quality is evident.

In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.