Author Topic: original NH built firearms  (Read 2277 times)

longfowler

original NH built firearms
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:40:32 AM »
My Wife & I just got home from a lecture by the "Historical Society of Cheshire County" held this evening at the old Wyman Tavern in Keene, NH. the subject was "Gunmakers of Cheshire county, 1780-1880". VERY interesting, and besides being able to handle pieces from the society's collection, 2 local collectors brought some examples from their personal collections. some of these guns were documented Militia pieces used by local residents, and a few were known to be carried by Keene residents who volunteered for Berdan's sharpshooters in the civil war. There was a lot of history in that building tonite, and it was a very appropriate venue for such a presentation, since the wyman Tavern was the meeting place of the local Minute Men who marched to Boston to take part in the battle of Bunker hill.
I hope you enjoy these pics:

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: original NH built firearms
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:44:00 AM »
Very interesting specimens.  Thanks for sharing the pics.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: original NH built firearms
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:23:57 AM »
Great display with a great theme, thanks for posting it.  Coincidently, I'll be doing a program/talk for the Bureau County Historical Society, here in Princeton, Illinois, this coming Sunday.  It will be called "Gunmakers of Illinois and Bureau County".  I'll be displaying around twenty guns, just two made in Bureau County, the rest from neighboring counties.  There were at least eight makers in this county, but I've been able to find rifles by just two.  I will give detailed information on the others though.