Author Topic: crowning a barrel  (Read 2326 times)

eseabee1

crowning a barrel
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:33:42 AM »
I just took notice today while out shooting my trade rifle and working on building my trade pistol that the barrel on the rifle has no crown just flat the pistol barrel has a crown ....my qustion is how hard whould it be to crown the barrel on the rifle and how to do it ?

Offline satwel

Re: crowning a barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
It's easy. If you don't have access to a lathe, go to an autoparts store and buy a tube of valve grinding compound. Go to the plumbing aisle at Home Depot and buy a kit that has the parts for connecting a toilet tank to the toilet base. In that kit there will be two large brass screws with domed heads. Chuck one of the brass screws into a variable speed electric drill and smear the domed head with valve grinding compound. Clamp your rifle barrel vertically in a vise. Press the domed screw head into the muzzle and run the drill at slow speed. Wobble the drill with a circular motion as it grinds the crown so the crown is concentric with the bore. You have to re-apply the valve grinding compound several times. You may need to use both screws as the brass wears down pretty fast. Should take about 30 minutes to achieve a decent crown. Polish with emery paper wrapped around a tapered dowel. I once won a territorial match with a rifle that I crowned this way. Loaded easily without tearing the patches.